I am Anirudh Jain (Cyna on IRC), an undergraduate student at Bharati Vidyapeeth’s College of Engineering, New Delhi, India. I’ve been working on the MusicBrainz project of the MetaBrainz Foundation as a participant in Google Summer of Code 2019. This year marks the beginning of me as an Open Source developer. My work during the GSoC 2019 period can be found in my “temp” branch in my musicbrainz-server clone. The changes there will slowly get merged into the “cyna-gsoc” branch in the main musicbrainz-server repository on GitHub as they’re reviewed.
Here is our summer vacation homework for the MusicBrainz Server: mainly improving the Guess Case tool, fixing a fair amount of bugs and continuing the migration of templates to React.
Thanks to ferbncode for fixing the Dockerfile that creates a test database. Thanks also to acid2, alastairp, bort27, brianfreud, CatQuest, chaban, cyberskull, florentl, fmera, foolip, hibiscuskazeneko, Jeluang, liftarn, michelv, mineo, murdos, paulakreuzer, PoQStacker, tommycrock, yindesu, zexpe, and everyone who tested the beta version, reported issues, or updated website localizations.
The git tag is
- [MBS-2614] – Vote on edits shows expired edits
- [MBS-5338] – Guess Case doesn’t seem to recognize roman numerals above 10
- [MBS-5755] – English/Katakana is incorrectly classified as “unlikely language/script pair”
- [MBS-6087] – Relationship edits for recordings don’t show up on the release edit list
- [MBS-9028] – Wikidata link makes fetch english blurb even though resulting page is a redirect
- [MBS-9657] – Remove “with” from Guess Case at the end of a track title
- [MBS-9837] – Regression: Guess Case button lowercases “Ya” in English
- [MBS-9976] – ISE on ISWC report when works have been merged away
- [MBS-10134] – Browse query with incorrect parameters gets submitted to the search server
- [MBS-10137] – Guess feat button doesn’t change AC on recording pages
- [MBS-10162] – Alias seemingly ignored for recording, release and RG direct searches
- [MBS-10250] – User profile link on Spotify shows up as “Stream at Spotify” on the external links bar
- [MBS-10260] – Video attributes for URL relationships can’t be removed in release editor
- [MBS-10274] – Docker: musicbrainz-test-database container fails to start
- [MBS-10278] – Artists with members listed in PossibleCollaborations if they also have other rels
- [MBS-1679] – Don’t display Merge Process in release editor
- [MBS-2250] – Go back when cancelling merge
- [MBS-3848] – Guess Case: Support for additional common ETI phrases
- [MBS-3920] – Extend the “Titles with Featured Artists” reports
- [MBS-7421] – Properly capitalize iWhatever-like when guessing case
- [MBS-8065] – Stop Guess Case needlessly standardising “aka”
- [MBS-8521] – Allow work-level-rels in browse recording request
- [MBS-8865] – Lower case “rmx” just as “remix”
- [MBS-9855] – Generalize NotFound templates to one general file
- [MBS-9981] – Consider “conductor” and “founder” relationships when reporting Artists that may be collaborations
- [MBS-10143] – Allow querying for tags/genres on discid WS requests
- [MBS-10156] – Lowercase “remode” and “re‐mode” in ETIs when guessing case
- [MBS-10161] – Lowercase mono/stereo/quadraphonic in parentheses when guessing case
- [MBS-10262] – Indicate to user that new RG will be created if RG field is left empty
- [MBS-10287] – Count tracks (rather than recordings) when determining top work artists
- [MBS-10315] – Add the LyricWiki icon to links in the sidebar
- [MBS-2663] – Search for edits by non-subscribed entity
- [MBS-6791] – Search for edits made by beginners
React Conversion Task
- [MBS-9916] – Convert the event public pages to React
- [MBS-9918] – Convert the label public pages to React
- [MBS-10087] – Convert doc pages to React
- [MBS-10116] – Convert the recording index page to React
- [MBS-10201] – Convert artist works tab to React
- [MBS-10202] – Convert artist relationships tab to React
- [MBS-10313] – Reenable CAA images on the homepage for Chrome-based browsers
This summery release brings one main new feature: collaborative collections! As an editor, you can now share your collections with others. This is mainly intended for community projects, but it can also be a good way to, say, have a shared “Music we have at home” collection with your family, or collect artists with funny names with your friends. You decide how to use it!
To add collaborators to your collections, edit the collection and enter the editors you’d want as collaborators in the appropriate section (suggestion: ask first whether they’re interested, then add them!). Once they’ve been added as collaborators, they’ll be able to add and remove entities from the collection in the same way as you, but they won’t be able to change the title / description: that’s still only for the collection owner to change.
The release also comes with a bunch of small improvements and bug fixes, including a couple about collections, and continues migrating to React.
Thanks to Ge0rg3 and sothotalker for their contributed code. Also, thanks to chaban, chiark, cyberskull, Dmitry, hibiscuskazeneko, jesus2099, Lotheric, mfmeulenbelt, psychoadept and everyone who tested the beta version, reported issues, or updated the website translations.
The git tag is
- [MBS-8867] – Guess Case normalizes “C’mon” as “C’Mon”
- [MBS-9512] – Changing recording name to empty string should not be allowed
- [MBS-10100] – ISE without “non-required” attributes for admin/attributes/Language/create
- [MBS-10133] – Error message when sending an empty query to the WS is unclear
- [MBS-10212] – SoundCloud URL with trailing slash is not displayed with user name in artist sidebar
- [MBS-10218] – Regression: Cover Art tab not selected / highlit on release page
- [MBS-10233] – Regression: ISE when trying to cancel a “add release annotation” edit
- [MBS-8569] – Don’t display ended legal names in the overview page for artists
- [MBS-9381] – Show user’s own private collections in the list of collections for an entity
- [MBS-10135] – Support WikiaParoles as its own site rather than LyricWiki
- [MBS-10139] – Clarify why recording lengths can’t be edited when non standalone
- [MBS-10210] – Only allow allowed frequencies in language admin form
- [MBS-10215] – Make ISO number required for script admin form
- [MBS-10217] – Explain what renaming artist credits does when editing artist
- [MBS-10219] – Add Muziekweb to other DBs whitelist, with sidebar display
- [MBS-10222] – Pull legal name alias instead of legal name artist for the relationship Artist-Artist “perform as/legal name”
- [MBS-10224] – Don’t show the same legal name string multiple times in artist overview
- [MBS-10246] – Don’t assume all event collections are attendance lists
- [MBS-10272] – Convert the header / navbar to Bootstrap
- [MBS-8915] – Allow editors to choose delimiter in track parser
- [MBS-9428] – Allow multiple users to share one collection
React Conversion Task
- [MBS-10131] – Update LyricWiki domain to lyrics.fandom.com
Today’s release contains some new features/improvements to the web service, several entity index pages being rewritten in React, and tweaks to the edit expiration wording to make it less confusing. See the tickets below for more details.
Thanks to kepstin for helping test the new CORS / OPTION support in the web service.
The git tag for today’s release is
- [MBS-10124] – Allow to browse recordings linked to a given work through web service
- [MBS-6033] – Allow CORS preflights
- [MBS-6072] – WS: Answer OPTION requests
- [MBS-9732] – Change “expires in” wording/phrasing
- [MBS-10197] – Remove unneeded data quality edit code
React Conversion Task
This server release mostly fixes bugs and regressions. It also updates the URL cleanup code and continues the conversion of templates to React.
Thanks to CatQuest, cyberskull, hibiscuskazeneko, Jeluang, Lotheric, mfmeulenbelt, tungolcraft, yeeeargh, and everyone who tested the beta version, reported issues, or updated website translations.
The git tag is v-2019-06-03.
- [MBS-8826] – /ws/ requests that 404 should not return HTML
- [MBS-10141] – Labels from Trois-Rivières should appear 1 layer up in labels from Mauricie
- [MBS-10147] – Reports break if an entity in them has been removed / merged
- [MBS-10148] – Can’t change entity type of empty collection
- [MBS-10153] – Database statistic tables’ headers’ icons are 404s
- [MBS-10160] – YouTube channel link that uses the https://www.youtube.com/c/username format won’t have the username shown in the sidebar
- [MBS-10163] – “Javanese” does not show in instrument Alias page
- [MBS-10167] – “Existing medium” results give medium position, not number
- [MBS-10171] – ISE when calling ws/js with a wrong ID
- [MBS-10182] – Some artist /relationships tabs show an internal server error
- [MBS-10183] – Regression: Display bug in the title of page crediting the artist (Release Group, Release, Recording)
- [MBS-10184] – Regression: ISE on displaying some edits
- [MBS-10196] – XSS vulnerability in Knockout for IE <= 7
- [MBS-9762] – Standardize Songkick URLs
- [MBS-10095] – Provide a better error than an ISE if trying to admin edit non-existing user
- [MBS-10108] – Allow linking individual tweets to recordings
- [MBS-10142] – Update URL cleanup for Sina Weibo URLs + add them to the sidebar
- [MBS-10151] – Update LiveFans URLs to use HTTPS
- [MBS-10152] – Display artist areas on Artists tab of area entity
React Conversion Task
At 17:00 UTC (10am PST, 1pm EST, 19:00CEST) we will start the process of our schema change release. The exact time that we plan to start the change will depend on how long it takes to finish our preparations, but we expect it to be shortly after 17:00UTC.
Once we start the process we will put a banner notification on musicbrainz.org and we will also post updates to the @MusicBrainz twitter account, so follow us there for more details.
After the release is complete, we will post instructions here on how to upgrade your replicated MusicBrainz instances.
For the last several years, one of the things our community has struggled with is a lack of active voters. We’ve tried to implement various measures to decrease the need for voters and load for the wonderful ones that actually do actively look through edits and help vote on them—e.g., making more edits auto‐edits and decreasing amount of time edits stay open. However, the edit queue is still quite unwieldy and as such we’ve kept trying to come up with other ways to decrease the load on our contributors.
Over the past few months since our last summit, we’ve been working on training AIs, both for recommendation engines and data analytics, and for helping out with spam, but it soon appeared that we had another valuable dataset: our history of 15,693,824 votes from 16,336 voters and 56,374,198 edits from 2,007,134 editors. It turns out that this is an unintended side-effects of the editing and voting system in that it creates a paper trail of our habits as a community and our collective mind.
A paper trail that you could, say, train a neural network on. And that’s just what we did.
By feeding data from our top voters, we’ve been able to train our network to replicate with 96.4% accuracy the personality when using the other half as test data. That figure is the average for 300 bots each based on our top 300 voters.
We were really impressed with the results but the story doesn’t stop there…
The next logical step was to create our own Frankenstein’s monster. By training on 70% of our entire set of votes, we gave birth to a voting bot that represents the essence of our community. “BrainzVoter”, as we dubbed it, is precise and scores a staggering 98.9% accuracy on test data and comparing with the other 30% of our dataset.
To quote the late Terry Pratchet:
Ankh-Morpork had dallied with many forms of government and had ended up with that form of democracy known as One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man; he had the Vote.
In view of the recent developments on net neutrality taken by the European Union with articles 11 & 13/17, MusicBrainz is taking measures to protect against copyright infringement: we’re implementing automatic edit filters. BrainzVoter will use the latest in NLP technology to understand what you, the editors, write in your edit notes, and use this understanding to vote on your edit. It will also inspect any URLs included in the edit note to cross-reference the data. The aggregate data will not be available to the public.
Edits with better and clearer notes will become more likely to pass. Consider this a good opportunity to (re‐)read How to Write Edit Notes!
How will this affect me as an editor?
Not much will change, and you can continue doing what you were doing before! We recommend that you take the time to make clear statements in your edit notes.
You will also be able to use a system of tags to express intent, using for example
#typo #correction in the content of your edit text. Syntax highlighting and shortcuts will be available in the text editor.
In the end, by removing the need for humans to look over edits, the bot should give you, the editor, more time to add and edit and fix data in MusicBrainz, without having to spend time checking everyone else’s edits or worry about other editors disagreeing with yours!
We hope you will share our excitement for the benefits of automation and help us improve our training models over time. I, for one, welcome our AI overlords.
Picard Team is proud to announce MusicBrainz Picard 2.1.3 is now officially released.
It includes a lot of bug fixes, and few improvements, but no major feature.
- [PICARD-323] – Only the discid of the first disc in a release is written to tags
- [PICARD-455] – Picard setting cover art height, width and depth to 0 for FLAC files –> breaks libFLAC
- [PICARD-729] – Tracks get stuck at “[loading track information]” on Bad Gateway errors
- [PICARD-938] – Need two left-arrow key presses to go from track with file to album
- [PICARD-1178] – Images tagged with extra types that the user has chosen to ignore should not be shown as ‘modified’
- [PICARD-1288] – Folskonomy tags / genre fallback on album artists tags not working
- [PICARD-1422] – Windows: Uninstall 32 bit Picard before upgrade
- [PICARD-1447] – When releasing a new version, appdata should also be updated
- [PICARD-1460] – Windows installer does not detect running instance
- [PICARD-1461] – Crash when running with Spanish language
- [PICARD-1463] – Picard crashes on startup on Windows
- [PICARD-1469] – Force close when adding songs to larger albums
- [PICARD-1471] – Artist searches do not show begin and end area
- [PICARD-1473] – AcoustId lookup fails if fingerprint already in tags
- [PICARD-1474] – Windows installer shows outdated version string in file properties
- [PICARD-1475] – Cover art sources do not support HTTPS
- [PICARD-1476] – Filled up thread pool prevents metadata box updates
- [PICARD-1478] – Changing MB server requires a restart
- [PICARD-1480] – Search line input clear button icon is too small
- [PICARD-1459] – Remove OptionsPage.info method
- [PICARD-1472] – macOS code signing on Travis CI fails for xcode7.3 image
- [PICARD-1242] – Consider the number of AcoustID sources for linked recordings
- [PICARD-1457] – “Check for Update” should be in the Picard menu
- [PICARD-1458] – “Check for Update” should have an ellipsis at the end
- [PICARD-1470] – Make warning about Qt locale loading less prominent
Bugs can be reported on Picard bug tracker.
Picard 2.1.2 includes just few changes over Picard 2.1.0, but fixes some annoying bugs, so it is recommended to upgrade:
- [PICARD-1452] – Appveyor auto-deploy not working
- [PICARD-1456] – macOS packaging fails due to PIP bug
- [PICARD-1450] – Fix language label for zh_CN and zh_TW
Bugs can be reported on Picard bug tracker.
MusicBrainz Picard 2.1 is finally here. This version includes a lot of fixes and improvements over previous stable version (2.0.4). It is recommended to upgrade of course.
Most notably, it includes following changes:
- support for MusicBrainz genres
- new convenient script functions:
- new command line option (
--no-plugins) allowing to skip plugin loading, which may help when a plugin is crashing Picard at start and to identify if an issue is due to a plugin or the main program
- improve tags support, better compatibility with other applications, wider range of audio files supported
- better stability and performance
Here is the complete change log:
- [PICARD-105] – Picard won’t load non-album tracks from fingerprints
- [PICARD-421] – Releases in private collections are not shown as being in them
- [PICARD-518] – Sliders without labels in “Options – Metadata – Preferred Releases”
- [PICARD-637] – $matchedtracks is broken
- [PICARD-875] – AIFF does not support any of the compatid3 tags
- [PICARD-949] – Track can be placed in the incorrect spot on the release after using Scan
- [PICARD-1013] – False file save error in specific circumstances
- [PICARD-1060] – Collections menu not displayed correctly anymore
- [PICARD-1112] – Cannot save tags that were previously deleted from file
- [PICARD-1133] – Plugins list doesn’t load automatically after setting proxy
- [PICARD-1162] – Solo vocals are tagged wrong
- [PICARD-1219] – Picard creating empty ID3 TIPL / TMCL / IPLS frames
- [PICARD-1245] – Set field “Grouping” doesn’t work as expected
- [PICARD-1275] – After uninstalling a plugin Picard needs to be restarted for it to be reinstalled
- [PICARD-1281] – Picard has wrong version string on macOS
- [PICARD-1320] – Black text on a dark theme
- [PICARD-1332] – Deleted tags for matched files stay deleted
- [PICARD-1336] – MP4 reports “bpm” as unsupported tag
- [PICARD-1339] – Removing unclustered files can be very slow
- [PICARD-1340] – File info doesn’t display Mono / Stereo in Channels field anymore
- [PICARD-1341] – Cluster track order misinterprets disc/track numbers
- [PICARD-1346] – Move additional files fails if multiple patterns match
- [PICARD-1348] – Keyboard shortcuts broken due to localization
- [PICARD-1350] – Drag and drop on cover image box does not always work as expected
- [PICARD-1355] – Setting or unsetting album for non-album tracks does not work
- [PICARD-1359] – Crash with tagger integration when using DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
- [PICARD-1364] – picard.exe has no version tag
- [PICARD-1368] – Info messages are not shown on logging level Info
- [PICARD-1369] – Crash on Python 3.7.0 opening URLs
- [PICARD-1370] – Windows installer to add “Quick Launch” icon no longer supported on Win10
- [PICARD-1371] – Windows installer does not warn when installing on 32 bit system
- [PICARD-1373] – Source distributions are unusable
- [PICARD-1374] – Picard crashes while typing a regular expression in some cases
- [PICARD-1375] – Metadata sanitation before move-script execution fails
- [PICARD-1376] – Error saving Ape files with tag marked for deletion that does not exist
- [PICARD-1381] – Test results depend on execution order of tests
- [PICARD-1397] – Do not save tags marked as unsupported
- [PICARD-1398] – Snap package is missing locale files
- [PICARD-1405] – Pasting formatted text into scripting window shows formatting
- [PICARD-1410] – Loading Vorbis file with invalid rating value fails
- [PICARD-1412] – Deleting tag counts not as important metadata change
- [PICARD-1414] – Image errors lead to crash in info dialog
- [PICARD-1415] – Open Containing Folder and Open with MusicPlayer does nothing for UNC paths
- [PICARD-1418] – Display localized default dialogs and keyboard shortcut hints
- [PICARD-1420] – Can not save wma file. TypeError: sequence item 0
- [PICARD-1428] – Removing tags which are only in original file metadata not possible
- [PICARD-1430] – “Authentication required” dialog does not trigger authentication
- [PICARD-1431] – Some ID3 frames gets deleted even if the corresponding tags are shown as unchanged
- [PICARD-1434] – Tag acoustid_id can not be removed or deleted in script
- [PICARD-1436] – Text extraction of “title” and “label” for translation.
- [PICARD-1437] – After reload file is being shown as changed
- [PICARD-1438] – Message box buttons Yes/No aren’t translated
- [PICARD-1439] – Newline character in cover art naming script causes exception on saving
- [PICARD-490] – Allow tagging AAC/ADTS files with APEv2 tags
- [PICARD-1043] – Support reading & writing iTunes Classical tags
- [PICARD-1045] – Check for new version
- [PICARD-1268] – Support concertmaster recording relationships as performer:concertmaster
- [PICARD-1273] – Add an option to exclude new cover art type “Raw / Unedited”
- [PICARD-1319] – Provide cover art metadata to cover image naming script
- [PICARD-1344] – Add $delete function
- [PICARD-1352] – Add a command-line option to skip plugin loading
- [PICARD-1354] – Allow using vocals and instruments as credited
- [PICARD-1367] – Allow opening searches in browser when using search dialogs
- [PICARD-1384] – Add AppStream data
- [PICARD-1386] – Add $title function
- [PICARD-1395] – Support genres from MusicBrainz
- [PICARD-1440] – Support loading and renaming Standard MIDI Files (SMF)
- [PICARD-1333] – Run CI tests agaist oldest supported mutagen
- [PICARD-1347] – Refactor script.py to avoid code duplication
- [PICARD-1365] – Allow building with PyQt 5.11 or later
- [PICARD-1442] – Support new Audio Play secondary type
- [PICARD-1407] – Save originalalbum / originalartist to ASF/WMA
- [PICARD-1408] – Save originalalbum / originalartist to APE
- [PICARD-664] – When dragging a recording, show the actual file name instead of the path
- [PICARD-792] – Package a start menu tile for Windows 10 on the windows version
- [PICARD-1039] – Use forward delete instead of delete button on macOS
- [PICARD-1049] – Picard should use TXXX:WORK rather than TXXX:Work
- [PICARD-1068] – Picard should use MP4 Â©wrk for Work rather than generic text field
- [PICARD-1244] – Refresh list of plugins after uninstalling or installing a local plugin
- [PICARD-1285] – There is no Close menu item in Picard 2.0 on macOS
- [PICARD-1313] – Refactor plugin UI
- [PICARD-1325] – Allow disabling new version update checking for packagers
- [PICARD-1338] – Picard should be more resilient if it gets invalid responses from servers
- [PICARD-1358] – Use macOS style widgets in the user interface of the macOS version of Picard
- [PICARD-1363] – AcoustId submission for matched files is impossible when musicbrainz_recordingid is unset
- [PICARD-1366] – Show Python version in about
- [PICARD-1379] – Port astrcmp to new Python C Unicode API
- [PICARD-1383] – Use MCN / barcode read from disc to improve DiscId lookup
- [PICARD-1393] – Change the application ID
- [PICARD-1416] – Should store ID3 Artists field as TXXX:ARTISTS not TXXX:Artists
- [PICARD-1417] – Only show plugins with compatible API version
- [PICARD-1424] – Translate AppStream data
- [PICARD-1425] – Support all movement tags for APE, Vorbis and MP3
- [PICARD-1426] – Map musicbrainz_originalalbumid and musicbrainz_originalartistid to MP4 and WMA
- [PICARD-1443] – Sort secondary release types in UI alphabetically