This release contains a new “Voting suggestions” page with some useful, predefined edit searches that ought to help editors find and review edits that need more attention.
We also have some minor improvements and display fixes, detailed below. The conversion of our template code to React slowly continues.
Thanks to cyna, chaban, and all others who tested or contributed to this release!
The git tag is
- [MBS-10264] – The date/time display format isn’t localized in some places
- [MBS-10446] – Historic “Remove relationship” edits don’t display anything useful
- [MBS-10447] – Historic “remove relationship” edits don’t fail properly if data is missing
- [MBS-10460] – Remove alias edits don’t store “ended” info, always display “Ended: No”
- [MBS-10299] – “Voting Reports” (pre-set edit searches)
- [MBS-10389] – Add “Chat” or “IRC” link to footer
- [MBS-10394] – Convert Add/Remove Alias edit to React
- [MBS-10395] – Convert Edit Alias edit to React
- [MBS-10440] – Remove series/delete
- [MBS-10448] – Add the Dynamic Range Database to the other databases whitelist
- [MBS-3839] – Merge edit pages should have a way to remove some items
- [MBS-10361] – Allow tabbing straight from edit note field to submit button
- [MBS-10371] – Update the Songfacts logo used in the sidebar
- [MBS-10382] – Explain what rename option does when merging
- [MBS-10403] – Explain when a release should be removed / merging is preferred
- [MBS-10456] – Show more info when entering artist merges
React Conversion Task
The 2019 MetaBrainz Summit took place on 27th–29th of September 2019 in Barcelona, Spain at the MetaBrainz HQ. The Summit is a chance for MetaBrainz staff and the community to gather and plan ahead for the next year. This report is a recap of what was discussed and what lies ahead for the community.
Continue reading “State of the Brainz: 2019 MetaBrainz Summit highlights”
MusicBrainz Picard 2.2.3 is available for download. This is a bugfix release which mainly fixes a couple of crashes and some UI issues on macOS.
The complete list of changes:
- [PICARD-1633] – macOS: Automatic locale detection broken
- [PICARD-1634] – macOS: File browser sets wrong horizontal scroll position
- [PICARD-1635] – Terminated randomly when deleting files when saving
- [PICARD-1636] – Default locale detection fails if locale categories have different locales
- [PICARD-1637] – Crash when saving after removing some underlying files
- [PICARD-1640] – Picard with –config-file parameter copies over legacy configuration
- [PICARD-1642] – Picard crashes on launch (AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘setPopupMode’)
- [PICARD-1643] – Performer with instruments containing non-ASCII characters are not written to Vorbis and APE tags
- [PICARD-1644] – Crash when initializing translations on Python 3.8
- [PICARD-1647] – macOS: Plugin enable/disable button does not always update the icon
- [PICARD-1648] – Crashes when using search dialogs
- [PICARD-1651] – File and release counts in status bar not updated when files get removed
- [PICARD-1654] – macOS: Logout button / username stays visible after logout
- [PICARD-1655] – macOS: Login dialog can be hidden behind options
- [PICARD-1630] – Ensure FLAC metadata is visible/editable in Windows Explorer
- [PICARD-1632] – Tooltips for genre filter help hide too quickly
You shouldn’t be afraid of this small release that fixes some bugs and delivers some improvements, making editors’ lives easier!
Thanks to Besnik, CatQuest, dkg, jesus2099, outsidecontext, zexpe, and everyone who tested the beta version, reported issues, or updated website localizations.
The git tag is
- [MBS-9468] – Edit search finds no “remove (download for free) relationship” edits
- [MBS-10408] – Artists are not marked as pending in that recording merge edit
- [MBS-10420] – My Data Menu’s “All My Edits” links to bogus URL
- [MBS-10428] – WS: Recording request missing artist aliases
- [MBS-10429] – Empty aliases element returned for artists in relationships
- [MBS-10430] – Actions column for fingerprints wraps for translations
- [MBS-2176] – Add a “Finish” button alongside “Next” in release editor
- [MBS-10356] – Replace <b> with <strong> in messages
- [MBS-10425] – Allow instrument credits for relationships from/to instrument
- [MBS-10431] – Remove ‘yourmusic’ from 7digital URLs
- [MBS-10454] – Block removing an area still in use
This post-summit release mostly contains bugfixes and small improvements for quality of life, along with continued conversion of templates to React.
Thanks to alastairp, andrebreiler, antonphoton, chaban, dibou, foolip, hibiscuskazeneko, jdamcd, jesus2099, mat813, mineo, okno, rochusw, silentbird, Skeebadoo, and everyone who tested the beta version, reported issues, or updated website localizations.
The git tag is
[MBS-4980] – Releases on the same date aren’t sorted by catalog number
- [MBS-5322] – Release group browse requests no longer return results in first-release-date order
- [MBS-9111] – It’s still possible to leave empty edit notes
- [MBS-10263] – Annotation not removed after it has been downvoted
- [MBS-10344] – Navigating to artist/ or recording/merge with only 1 item in the queue ISEs
- [MBS-10345] – /merge loads (brokenly) even if not ready to merge
- [MBS-10346] – Table of collections has large table cell padding
- [MBS-10353] – Enable ratings for release browse
- [MBS-10369] – Database statistics for countries are wrong
- [MBS-10406] – The WS can still sometimes try to communicate with the template renderer, timing out
- [MBS-10411] – Inconsistent type for place coordinate
- [MBS-10421] – Lookup of cluster in browser from Picard generates an server error
- [MBS-10423] – Internal Server Error when trying to query by release language
- [MBS-3112] – TAB from “Edit note” doesn’t go to “Enter edit” in “Release editor”
- [MBS-4486] – Disambiguation input field sanitation: Automatically remove leading and trailing parentheses
- [MBS-4913] – Show how many CAA images we have for a release
- [MBS-5083] – Release pages: Display recording artist on tracks (recording)
- [MBS-5479] – Move “Edit relationships” to be a tab by “Edit” on releases
- [MBS-8566] – Release artist should be selected automatically for all tracks with the same artist name (CD stub import)
- [MBS-8967] – The duplicate events report should not show events if all of them have disambiguation comments
- [MBS-10229] – Block smart links
- [MBS-10240] – Allow specifying that a release has no barcode while seeding
- [MBS-10347] – “Actions” columns should only take as much space as they need
- [MBS-10349] – Clarify what “exclusive” vs “inclusive” means in relationship stats
- [MBS-10355] – Display track artist on recording pages
- [MBS-10363] – Cancelling merge on merge helper should stay in the same page
- [MBS-10370] – Add `direction: forward` to all forward relationships in WS
- [MBS-10373] – Link to How to Write Edit Notes above the edit note fields
- [MBS-10404] – Limit the total number of tracks that can be returned in a WS release list
- [MBS-10405] – Switch to XML::LibXML for serializing XML WS responses
- [MBS-10407] – Add limit/offset parameters to /ws/2/discid
React Conversion Task
- [MBS-9915] – Convert the artist public pages to React
- [MBS-9920] – Convert the recording public pages to React
- [MBS-9924] – Convert the work public pages to React
- [MBS-10357] – Convert edit diff macros to React
Picard 2.2.2 is available for download. Most significantly this release addresses a performance regression which affected the Windows and macOS versions of previous Picard 2 releases. It is highly recommended for Windows and macOS users to upgrade.
The complete list of changes:
- [PICARD-1606] – Crashes on opening options with broken plugin
- [PICARD-1612] – Trackpad tap is not working properly on macOS
- [PICARD-1614] – macOS: Incorrect ‘LSMinimumSystemVersion’
- [PICARD-1618] – macOS and Windows packages built without C astrcmp
- [PICARD-1621] – Lookup CD dropdown does not list additional drives
- [PICARD-1624] – Updating default CD device in options does not change default for keyboard shortcut
- [PICARD-1610] – Make the labels in Options > User Interface > Colours wider
- [PICARD-1619] – Grey out cover art providers list when cover art is disabled
We have released Picard 2.2.1, which is a small bugfix release for the recently released Picard 2.2. Thanks to everybody who gave feedback and reported issues.
Picard 2.2.1 is available for download on the Picard website.
The changes in detail:
- [PICARD-1603] – Translations from picard/ui/colors.py don’t show up in Picard
- [PICARD-1604] – Windows install is not using Qt default translations
- [PICARD-1607] – Upgrading a plugin displays the dialog box multiple times
- [PICARD-1608] – “[non-album tracks]” can not directly be removed
- [PICARD-1609] – Picard About shows Qt version PyQt was build against, not actually used Qt
- [PICARD-1602] – Tests should not be included in the sdist package
The Picard Team is proud to announce the release of MusicBrainz Picard 2.2. This version provides a number of new features and bug fixes. Some of the highlights are:
- Files can be moved to sub folders without renaming the actual file (see below for details).
- Colors used for highlighting changes in files and metadata can now be configured in options.
- A new integrated media player toolbar. This feature is considered beta and is disabled by default, but you can enable the toolbar in the menu with View > Player. Please note that the file formats supported by the player depend on your operating system.
- New plugin hooks which trigger when a file was added to a release, a file was removed from a release, a file was saved and a file was loaded.
- Improved support for dropping cover art images directly from Google and Bing image search results.
- Support for ReplayGain 2.0 tags.
There are a few potentially backward incompatible changes.
- Amazon cover art moved to plugin: If you have been using the Amazon cover art you will need to install the Amazon Cover Art plugin in Options > Plugins. The functionality remains the same, we just moved it to a plugin.
- Moving files without renaming creates folder structure: Previously Picard would just drop all files into the selected target folder if “Move files” was enabled but “Rename files” was disabled. This was not very useful. Now Picard will generate the folder hierarchy according to your script.
If you want to retain the old functionality use a renaming script that does not generate any folder hierarchy (no slash or backslash characters in the script).
- The minimum supported macOS version is now macOS Sierra (10.12) or higher. If you are using macOS 10.10 or 10.11 you can continue using Picard 2.1.3.
Picard 2.2 is available for download on the Picard website.
Thanks to everybody who contributed to this release with code, translations, testing, bug reports and general feedback. This is much appreciated and we are always happy to see new contributors.
Here is the full changelog:
- [PICARD-456] – “Delete empty directories” should not delete special folders such as the desktop
- [PICARD-571] – Scripting and renaming font on macOS and Windows not monospace
- [PICARD-622] – File Browser resets horizontal scrolling on selection change
- [PICARD-765] – Refreshing a release reloads the CAA index.json file from cache, even if it changed online
- [PICARD-1025] – An empty destination directory prevents the options from being saved, but doesn’t show an error
- [PICARD-1090] – Match quality indicators are blurry
- [PICARD-1282] – ⌘W does not close Preferences window
- [PICARD-1284] – Can’t quit with preferences open
- [PICARD-1446] – Expand/collapse indicator for the release is briefly missing
- [PICARD-1483] – Can’t submit fingerprints to non-album recordings
- [PICARD-1489] – Crash on start when loading python-discid without libdiscid being available
- [PICARD-1490] – Local cover art provider fails on Windows
- [PICARD-1491] – Version check when loading Picard plugins too strict
- [PICARD-1492] – Can’t save rated tracks when it’s a FLAC file (when Metadata/Ratings is active)
- [PICARD-1493] – Crash on pre 1.0 config upgrade
- [PICARD-1497] – Saving fails when setting tags with invalid names for the underlying tagging format
- [PICARD-1499] – Picard loads embedded cover art with ID3 type “other” as sticker
- [PICARD-1501] – Double click in a cover opens it in web browser instead of an image viewer
- [PICARD-1503] – Scanning CDROM uses path containing ampersand (&)
- [PICARD-1516] – Picard fails to load MP4 without tags
- [PICARD-1517] – Functions matchedtracks and is_complete throw exception when run on cluster
- [PICARD-1522] – Crash when removing NAT recordings
- [PICARD-1527] – Can’t resize options window in 2.1.x (Mac)
- [PICARD-1529] – NAT tracks get assigned wrong cover art
- [PICARD-1533] – Attribute Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling must be set before QCoreApplication is created
- [PICARD-1541] – Closing log views destroys widgets
- [PICARD-1543] – v2.1.3 crashes when selecting Preferences in the Apple menu 10.14.5
- [PICARD-1547] – Picard doesn’t warn about not updating .wav metadata
- [PICARD-1549] – Source distributions are broken on Windows
- [PICARD-1551] – “compare_to_track” method considers “score” parameter only if track has releases
- [PICARD-1556] – Default File Naming Script produces “00” track number in file name.
- [PICARD-1558] – Setting rating on a track does not apply to already matched files
- [PICARD-1566] – Cannot drag misidentified song back to the left pane
- [PICARD-1567] – Parsing track number from file name modifies original title in metadata
- [PICARD-1571] – On macOS multiple option dialogs can be opened
- [PICARD-1573] – Crash when loading release with a tag that contains only whitespace.
- [PICARD-1575] – Can’t drag and drop a picture from the Google Picture Result Page to Picard.
- [PICARD-1580] – Crash when closing options window on “Preferred Releases” page
- [PICARD-1582] – “Allow selection of multiple directories” has no effect on Linux with Gtk file chooser
- [PICARD-1584] – Crash when disabling script function providing plugin
- [PICARD-1585] – On macOS restore default options dialog opens in background
- [PICARD-1588] – Metadata box shows tags unsupported by format
- [PICARD-1591] – Error when loading Vorbis file with invalid metadata_block_picture
- [PICARD-1593] – Picard crashes on plugin install error
- [PICARD-1595] – Cursor in tag edit box always jumps to end on input
- [PICARD-1598] – Metadata box hidden when album gets updated
- [PICARD-1601] – PyPI source tarball misses some test data
- [PICARD-143] – Add a plugin hook for a file-added-to-a-track event
- [PICARD-1130] – Post save plugins
- [PICARD-1488] – Built-in media player (beta feature)
- [PICARD-1510] – Add a plugin hook for a file-removed-from-a-track event
- [PICARD-1512] – Add a plugin hook for an album-removed event
- [PICARD-1514] – Replace genre / folksonomy tag blacklist with more comprehensive list
- [PICARD-1524] – Replace hardcoded colors by user-configurable ones
- [PICARD-1560] – Add a plugin hook for a file loaded event
- [PICARD-1594] – Provide $is_video() / $is_audio scripting functions
- [PICARD-1353] – Update Travis CI to use newer Xcode
- [PICARD-1388] – Document how to uninstall local built version of picard from CLI
- [PICARD-1561] – test_file.TestPreserveTimes fails on macOS 10.14
- [PICARD-1563] – Add ‘picard.egg-info’ file to .gitignore
- [PICARD-1235] – Picard is not responding during start while CD is being inserted
- [PICARD-1361] – Add “Launch Picard” to Windows installer
- [PICARD-1400] – Remove Amazon cover art provider from Picard and place it into a plugin
- [PICARD-1468] – Localize Windows installer
- [PICARD-1485] – Picard should show the hours of long tracks
- [PICARD-1494] – Use Python3.3+ nano seconds resolution stat()/utime() to preserve times on file save
- [PICARD-1496] – Display count of Other versions available once known in album’s contextual menu
- [PICARD-1502] – qApp.setDesktopFileName (wayland app_ip)
- [PICARD-1525] – Log/History views are updated even if not actually visible
- [PICARD-1546] – Display in Others submenu is messy for albums with a lot of tracks
- [PICARD-1552] – “compare_to_release_parts” considers track count of only first medium
- [PICARD-1559] – Allow moving files to subfolders without renaming
- [PICARD-1564] – Picard code for parsing response from AcoustID servers ignores tracks
- [PICARD-1576] – Open option help context sensitive
- [PICARD-1578] – Allow dragging images from Bing image search result
- [PICARD-1579] – Dragging cover art from Google image search on Linux drops just preview image
- [PICARD-1581] – “Recursively add files and folders” is very technical and hard to understand
- [PICARD-1586] – Support for ReplayGain 2.0 tags
- [PICARD-1599] – Use fpcalc json output for more robust output parsing
It’s time for another server update! This release mostly includes small improvements to make the MusicBrainz site show data in places where it was missing and have more clear messages for the users. We have a lot of other small improvements in the pipeline which we hope to release in the next couple of updates, so if this doesn’t help with any of your pet peeves hopefully those will!
Thanks to CatQuest, chaban, danbloo, demosdemon, eey0re, ianmcorvidae, ijabz, jesus2099, Lotheric, murdos, PeterCodar, $nake, SothoTalker for having reported issues, and to every single one of you who tested the beta version and updated website localizations.
The git tag is
- [MBS-4478] – Misleading messages when adding new entities through an edit
- [MBS-10273] – Huge and weird spacing in front of the release year column on artist pages in beta
- [MBS-10320] – Don’t wrongly nag local users of MB slave server
- [MBS-10337] – ISRCs and ratings not shown when artist overview consists of recordings only
- [MBS-975] – Permanently (301) redirect from track/ to recording/
- [MBS-4161] – List blog relationship type under the External links section
- [MBS-4787] – Permanently (301) redirect http://musicbrainz.org/ns/mmd-2.0# to web service documentation
- [MBS-5049] – Show edit note syntax help in edit page too
- [MBS-10269] – Release editor: Open artist credits preview in a new window
- [MBS-10280] – When deleting user, cancel open edits from newest to oldest
- [MBS-10291] – Consider “、” as a delimiter when splitting featured artists
- [MBS-10324] – Lowercase “Takes” with guess case
- [MBS-10336] – Clarify disc.track on recording pages
- [MBS-10338] – Show ratings on artists’ recording page
I am Anirudh Jain (Cyna on IRC), an undergraduate student at Bharati Vidyapeeth’s College of Engineering, New Delhi, India. I’ve been working on the MusicBrainz project of the MetaBrainz Foundation as a participant in Google Summer of Code 2019. This year marks the beginning of me as an Open Source developer. My work during the GSoC 2019 period can be found in my “temp” branch in my musicbrainz-server clone. The changes there will slowly get merged into the “cyna-gsoc” branch in the main musicbrainz-server repository on GitHub as they’re reviewed.
About the Project
Continue reading “GSOC 2019: Add Edit Previews to Non‐Release Entities in MusicBrainz”