In an effort to mitigate/fix MBS-3379 we need to restart the service that keeps the session information for our release editors. We’re going to do that tomorrow Saturday October 28 at Noon PDT, 3PM EDT, 8PM London, 9PM Amsterdam. If at this time you have a release editor open, submitting your edits will fail and you will need to start your edits over again.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
The MusicBrainz community has two very active contributors (navap and reosarevok) who do not have and cannot afford to buy decent development machines/laptops. MusicBrainz is carefully watching its finances currently and can’t really afford to spend money on this right now, so I’m curious to see if the community would come together to support these two awesome contributors.
Navap has done a lot of editing and web site improvements (a series of 8 or so nitpick patches that greatly improved the look/feel of NGS) and countless other tasks to improve MusicBrainz. Reosarevok is a very active editor and has recently become our wiki god; he is also wishing to help out more with the development. Both of these two awesome contributors could be more productive with decent machines.
We’re looking to buy two $500 Linux capable machines that have a couple of cores and about 4GB of RAM each. Would you please consider chipping in to help our contributors? You can make a cash donation (please let us know your donation should go towards laptops) or even send a laptop to our contributors. If you’d like to help out with a donation of an actual machine, please leave a comment in the blog and I’ll get in touch with you.
I would like to remind Web Service users that on 16 November we’re going to block generic User-Agent strings from accessing our web service. Earlier we said:
The User-Agent string needs to identify the application and the version of the application that is making the request; having a generic User-Agent string like “Java/1.6.0_24″ or “PHP/5.3.4″ does not allow us to properly identify the application making the requests.
IMPORTANT: 6 Months after we release NGS (Nov 16th) we’re going to start blocking common generic User-Agents strings, so please make sure that you send us a proper User-Agent header as part of your request.
You have been warned. 🙂
Lukáš Lalinský announced here:
We released a new version of Picard today. This new release includes a number of bug fixes. Unicode punctuation is now replaced by default for new users. Title standardization has been removed, as track titles now follow the same style guidelines as recording titles.
One larger change that is hidden by default is support for AcoustID fingerprinting. AcoustID is a new, completely open source, audio fingerprinting project, started by me last year. I’m really glad to finally integrate it with Picard. Integration with the MusicBranz website is planned for later. Configuring Picard to use AcoustID instead of AmpliFIND should be completely transparent, there are no visual differences in the scanning process. Note that this feature requires downloading an extra application, see the AcoustID wiki page for details.
Changes since version 0.15.1:
- Fixed track metadata plugins.
- Added new internal %_totalalbumtracks% tag field. (PICARD-16)
- Track metadata plugins now run also on non-album tracks. (PICARD-7)
- Fixed custom Various Artists name on the %albumartist% field. (PICARD-5)
- Album artist is now correctly “translated”. (PICARD-1)
- Unicode punctuation is now converted to ASCII by default.
- WavPack correction files are moved together with the main files. (PICARD-15)
- Unicode filename normalization on OS X.
- Original release date is now saved into %originaldate%.
- Allow tagging with localized artist aliases (PICARD-17)
- Added a quit confirmation dialog. (PICARD-46)
- Standalone recordings can be tagged with relationships now. (PICARD-10)
- Refreshing an album will refresh its “other versions” listing. (PICARD-8)
- “Unicode punctuation to ASCII” now works on album-level metadata. (PICARD-50)
- DJ-mix tags should only be written to the medium where they apply. (PICARD-20)
- Support URL redirects in web service/network request module (PICARD-54)
- Jamendo and Archive.org cover art is displayed on web page, but not loaded by Picard plugin (PICARD-52)
- Edits to metadata in “Details…” menu not reflected in UI (PICARD-13)
- The status bar/new metadata box is updated when a selected file/track is changed. (PICARD-14)
You can download the new version, as usual, at http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard
The 11th MusicBrainz summit was held this past weekend in Rotterdam, NL.
It was a very productive weekend with lots of discussions and plenty of social time. We had 17 people in attendance, 5 of which were from our sponsors/partners. The complete summit notes are now available on the wiki.
For those who didn’t attend, here are some of the things you missed out on:
- 3 lbs of chocolate
- banana pizza
- generic beer and energy drinks
- overloading the wifi and having to rely on tethered cell phones for wifi access
- an extremely high density of Google phones
- 3 hours of discussion about works
- information about BookBrainz
- very large traffic lights
Thanks to everyone who came and to warp for being our local contact.
See you all at the next summit!
With the summit arrangements this release has become delayed, but we’re happy to announce that we have just finished releasing this version (live from the summit!). Here’s what’s been fixed in this release:
- [MBS-1868] – Historic move disc id appears oddly
- [MBS-2001] – Some AddReleaseLabel edits have no entity_id
- [MBS-2196] – Can’t delete unused relationship type
- [MBS-2429] – External links don’t appear for last.fm URLs
- [MBS-2467] – RE: Add Missing Entities problems with caps
- [MBS-2539] – Inline tag edit : forbidden characters are not removed form the edit box
- [MBS-2682] – [ws/1] track-list offset is incorrect
- [MBS-2699] – Merging works always add titles of merged works as aliases of target work
- [MBS-2938] – Cannot import/seed 99-track releases from FreeDB
- [MBS-3034] – Immediately remove PUID
- [MBS-3070] – Release editor cannot be seeded with >99 for array-like elements
- [MBS-3223] – Work relationships not available in web service recording requests
- [MBS-3336] – NGS /ws/1 doesn’t include some relationships
- [MBS-3350] – ws/2 browsing release by track artist
- [MBS-3372] – Add relationship not linking to the URL entity
- [MBS-3442] – WS/2: Can’t browse work by artist (ws/2/work?artist=MBID)
- [MBS-3456] – Selecting recording from search results in work "Relate to…" doesn’t close results
- [MBS-3463] – Remove ISRC edits are not shown pending on recording page
- [MBS-3477] – Crash when trying to edit a release to create a new release group
- [MBS-3483] – Release editor > Importing a Various Artists CDStub doesn’t import track artists
- [MBS-3509] – Change release group via release editor doesn’t show up in edit history / open edits of target release group
- [MBS-3523] – Entity not being selected for relationship
- [MBS-3528] – Internal Server Error – Couldn’t render template "undef error – Can’t call method "value" on an undefined value at /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/HTML/FormHandler/Field.pm line 89. "
- [MBS-3564] – Cover arts from ozon.ru are not diplayed
- [MBS-3570] – change direction not working when no relationship type was selected first.
- [MBS-3573] – Got Internal Server Error while updating info for ‘Mob Hits [Disc 2]’
- [MBS-3577] – Release editor converts unicode characters to HTML quotations
- [MBS-3584] – amazon.es is not recognized as ASIN in "Add URL Reference"
- [MBS-3591] – Finding some labels in AJAX search is impossible
- [MBS-3592] – Artist aliases have extremely low priority when doing a simple search
- [MBS-3622] – Internal Server Error during import of freedb release that cannot be found
- [MBS-3623] – Edit relationship fails with internal error when attempting to move credits between recordings
- [MBS-3625] – The FreeDB page throws an exception if you try and view it when the disc doesn’t exist
- [MBS-962] – Allow more characters in tags
- [MBS-2276] – Report: released before 1982 but has DiscID attached or CD medium
- [MBS-3234] – Report: deprecated use of "(feat."
- [MBS-3295] – Report: releases with an ASIN as catalogue number
- [MBS-3382] – Report: releases with only some mediums with format
- [MBS-3582] – Amazon-Links should state country like Wikipedia links do
- [MBS-3620] – Improve the search results for autocompleted editor searches
- [MBS-3363] – Report: same ASINs attached to multiple releases
- [MBS-3364] – Report: Discogs pages attached to multiple releases
- [MBS-3315] – Add the ‘Possibly duplicate artists’ report
- [MBS-3316] – Add the ‘Release Groups that might need to be merged’ report
- [MBS-3317] – Add the ‘Releases with duplicated or missing track numbers’ report
- [MBS-3318] – Add the ‘Releases with superfluous data tracks’ report
- [MBS-3319] – Add the ‘Tracks whose names include their sequence numbers’ report
The MusicBrainz summit is going to get started later today and we’re going to have a Google Hangout as our low-budget webcasting solution. You should friend musicbrainz.summit at gmail dot com in Google Plus and then join our Hangout to join in our conversation.
See you online later tonight!
UPDATE: We failed to get the hang out started today. We’ll start our hang-our tomorrow morning at 10am Rotterdam time.
I’m pleased to announce that the FreeDB gateway, which lets you fetch MusicBrainz data via FreeDB enabled applications, has been updated to use the NGS database. As of now, its updating with new data from the main MusicBrainz server and you should be able to look up new CDs.
To use the FreeDB gateway, set the FreeDB server in your application to freedb.musicbrainz.org on port 80. For more information, please take a look at our wiki page for the gateway.
Thanks to Lukas for porting this code to NGS!
A bit late on releasing this one I’m afraid, but we finally got this delayed release out today. Here’s everything that got fixed and changed:
- [MBS-375] – Create redirect web server config files
- [MBS-1349] – Differences in current and migrated "Set track lengths from discID" edit display
- [MBS-1380] – An URL ending in closing parenthesis gets broken when listed in edit notes
- [MBS-1947] – When logged out, viewing a private collection should prompt a log in
- [MBS-2084] – Approve/cancel and tagger buttons add extra whitespace above the heading
- [MBS-2202] – User names with spaces cause superficial problems when sending emails
- [MBS-2591] – Release editor unescaping HTML entities POSTed to http://musicbrainz.org/release/add
- [MBS-2608] – Logged in as autoeditor, seeing nag screen
- [MBS-2911] – URL decoding should not decode non-utf-8 strings
- [MBS-2936] – Merging Artists does not merge birthday
- [MBS-3001] – Set track lengths now even more difficult to compare
- [MBS-3134] – When viewing a DiscID ToC page, there’s no indication if there’s a pending Remove edit for an issue.
- [MBS-3170] – UTF error yields 502
- [MBS-3264] – Historic "Add ISRC" edits not linked to releases
- [MBS-3268] – Approving an edit in a new tab yields a misleading error message
- [MBS-3309] – An error while trying to add a release from Picard
- [MBS-3333] – Internal server error when adding AR twice (accidental misclick)
- [MBS-3467] – /otherlookup for freeDB ID gives misleading error
- [MBS-3497] – Artist credit editor is hidden when the balloon is stretched too high
- [MBS-3499] – Encoding error – couldn’t render template…
- [MBS-3511] – Edit note syntax broken
- [MBS-3521] – Sporadic ISEs when trying to view the editing history of an artist
- [MBS-3529] – Uppercase cover art file extension not recognized
- [MBS-3530] – "Edit barcodes" edits are not linked to relevant release artists
- [MBS-3532] – ISE when editing a relationship to the same as an existing relationship
- [MBS-3533] – ISe adding a CD Stub where MB already has the discID
- [MBS-3538] – Two redirects for /show/edit/conditions.html
- [MBS-3539] – Regression: Instrument search in relationship editor no longer works in Firefox/Opera
- [MBS-3546] – ISE when visiting Tag Lookup page without arguments
- [MBS-3548] – Admin "adjust flags" panel crashes on form submission
- [MBS-3549] – Field validation prevents adding lyrics relationship URL to lyricstatus.com
- [MBS-3559] – Searching works gives an internal server error: Caught exception in MusicBrainz::Server::Controller::Search->external "Can’t use string ("backward") as a HASH ref while "strict refs" in use
- [MBS-3561] – Can’t find any work
- [MBS-3565] – "Can’t use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference" ISE when doing artist query for works from /ws/2
- [MBS-1470] – Ask for confirmation before canceling an edit
- [MBS-3493] – Show message in overview for empty artists
- [MBS-3545] – Make Tag Lookup usable again by "regular" editors
- [MBS-2963] – Support ‘release-groups’ inc parameter for /ws/2/release browsing