We have released Picard 2.2.1, which is a small bugfix release for the recently released Picard 2.2. Thanks to everybody who gave feedback and reported issues.
Picard 2.2.1 is available for download on the Picard website.
The changes in detail:
- [PICARD-1603] – Translations from picard/ui/colors.py don’t show up in Picard
- [PICARD-1604] – Windows install is not using Qt default translations
- [PICARD-1607] – Upgrading a plugin displays the dialog box multiple times
- [PICARD-1608] – “[non-album tracks]” can not directly be removed
- [PICARD-1609] – Picard About shows Qt version PyQt was build against, not actually used Qt
- [PICARD-1602] – Tests should not be included in the sdist package
The Picard Team is proud to announce the release of MusicBrainz Picard 2.2. This version provides a number of new features and bug fixes. Some of the highlights are:
- Files can be moved to sub folders without renaming the actual file (see below for details).
- Colors used for highlighting changes in files and metadata can now be configured in options.
- A new integrated media player toolbar. This feature is considered beta and is disabled by default, but you can enable the toolbar in the menu with View > Player. Please note that the file formats supported by the player depend on your operating system.
- New plugin hooks which trigger when a file was added to a release, a file was removed from a release, a file was saved and a file was loaded.
- Improved support for dropping cover art images directly from Google and Bing image search results.
- Support for ReplayGain 2.0 tags.
There are a few potentially backward incompatible changes.
- Amazon cover art moved to plugin: If you have been using the Amazon cover art you will need to install the Amazon Cover Art plugin in Options > Plugins. The functionality remains the same, we just moved it to a plugin.
- Moving files without renaming creates folder structure: Previously Picard would just drop all files into the selected target folder if “Move files” was enabled but “Rename files” was disabled. This was not very useful. Now Picard will generate the folder hierarchy according to your script.
If you want to retain the old functionality use a renaming script that does not generate any folder hierarchy (no slash or backslash characters in the script).
- The minimum supported macOS version is now macOS Sierra (10.12) or higher. If you are using macOS 10.10 or 10.11 you can continue using Picard 2.1.3.
Picard 2.2 is available for download on the Picard website.
Thanks to everybody who contributed to this release with code, translations, testing, bug reports and general feedback. This is much appreciated and we are always happy to see new contributors.
Here is the full changelog:
- [PICARD-456] – “Delete empty directories” should not delete special folders such as the desktop
- [PICARD-571] – Scripting and renaming font on macOS and Windows not monospace
- [PICARD-622] – File Browser resets horizontal scrolling on selection change
- [PICARD-765] – Refreshing a release reloads the CAA index.json file from cache, even if it changed online
- [PICARD-1025] – An empty destination directory prevents the options from being saved, but doesn’t show an error
- [PICARD-1090] – Match quality indicators are blurry
- [PICARD-1282] – ⌘W does not close Preferences window
- [PICARD-1284] – Can’t quit with preferences open
- [PICARD-1446] – Expand/collapse indicator for the release is briefly missing
- [PICARD-1483] – Can’t submit fingerprints to non-album recordings
- [PICARD-1489] – Crash on start when loading python-discid without libdiscid being available
- [PICARD-1490] – Local cover art provider fails on Windows
- [PICARD-1491] – Version check when loading Picard plugins too strict
- [PICARD-1492] – Can’t save rated tracks when it’s a FLAC file (when Metadata/Ratings is active)
- [PICARD-1493] – Crash on pre 1.0 config upgrade
- [PICARD-1497] – Saving fails when setting tags with invalid names for the underlying tagging format
- [PICARD-1499] – Picard loads embedded cover art with ID3 type “other” as sticker
- [PICARD-1501] – Double click in a cover opens it in web browser instead of an image viewer
- [PICARD-1503] – Scanning CDROM uses path containing ampersand (&)
- [PICARD-1516] – Picard fails to load MP4 without tags
- [PICARD-1517] – Functions matchedtracks and is_complete throw exception when run on cluster
- [PICARD-1522] – Crash when removing NAT recordings
- [PICARD-1527] – Can’t resize options window in 2.1.x (Mac)
- [PICARD-1529] – NAT tracks get assigned wrong cover art
- [PICARD-1533] – Attribute Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling must be set before QCoreApplication is created
- [PICARD-1541] – Closing log views destroys widgets
- [PICARD-1543] – v2.1.3 crashes when selecting Preferences in the Apple menu 10.14.5
- [PICARD-1547] – Picard doesn’t warn about not updating .wav metadata
- [PICARD-1549] – Source distributions are broken on Windows
- [PICARD-1551] – “compare_to_track” method considers “score” parameter only if track has releases
- [PICARD-1556] – Default File Naming Script produces “00” track number in file name.
- [PICARD-1558] – Setting rating on a track does not apply to already matched files
- [PICARD-1566] – Cannot drag misidentified song back to the left pane
- [PICARD-1567] – Parsing track number from file name modifies original title in metadata
- [PICARD-1571] – On macOS multiple option dialogs can be opened
- [PICARD-1573] – Crash when loading release with a tag that contains only whitespace.
- [PICARD-1575] – Can’t drag and drop a picture from the Google Picture Result Page to Picard.
- [PICARD-1580] – Crash when closing options window on “Preferred Releases” page
- [PICARD-1582] – “Allow selection of multiple directories” has no effect on Linux with Gtk file chooser
- [PICARD-1584] – Crash when disabling script function providing plugin
- [PICARD-1585] – On macOS restore default options dialog opens in background
- [PICARD-1588] – Metadata box shows tags unsupported by format
- [PICARD-1591] – Error when loading Vorbis file with invalid metadata_block_picture
- [PICARD-1593] – Picard crashes on plugin install error
- [PICARD-1595] – Cursor in tag edit box always jumps to end on input
- [PICARD-1598] – Metadata box hidden when album gets updated
- [PICARD-1601] – PyPI source tarball misses some test data
- [PICARD-143] – Add a plugin hook for a file-added-to-a-track event
- [PICARD-1130] – Post save plugins
- [PICARD-1488] – Built-in media player (beta feature)
- [PICARD-1510] – Add a plugin hook for a file-removed-from-a-track event
- [PICARD-1512] – Add a plugin hook for an album-removed event
- [PICARD-1514] – Replace genre / folksonomy tag blacklist with more comprehensive list
- [PICARD-1524] – Replace hardcoded colors by user-configurable ones
- [PICARD-1560] – Add a plugin hook for a file loaded event
- [PICARD-1594] – Provide $is_video() / $is_audio scripting functions
- [PICARD-1353] – Update Travis CI to use newer Xcode
- [PICARD-1388] – Document how to uninstall local built version of picard from CLI
- [PICARD-1561] – test_file.TestPreserveTimes fails on macOS 10.14
- [PICARD-1563] – Add ‘picard.egg-info’ file to .gitignore
- [PICARD-1235] – Picard is not responding during start while CD is being inserted
- [PICARD-1361] – Add “Launch Picard” to Windows installer
- [PICARD-1400] – Remove Amazon cover art provider from Picard and place it into a plugin
- [PICARD-1468] – Localize Windows installer
- [PICARD-1485] – Picard should show the hours of long tracks
- [PICARD-1494] – Use Python3.3+ nano seconds resolution stat()/utime() to preserve times on file save
- [PICARD-1496] – Display count of Other versions available once known in album’s contextual menu
- [PICARD-1502] – qApp.setDesktopFileName (wayland app_ip)
- [PICARD-1525] – Log/History views are updated even if not actually visible
- [PICARD-1546] – Display in Others submenu is messy for albums with a lot of tracks
- [PICARD-1552] – “compare_to_release_parts” considers track count of only first medium
- [PICARD-1559] – Allow moving files to subfolders without renaming
- [PICARD-1564] – Picard code for parsing response from AcoustID servers ignores tracks
- [PICARD-1576] – Open option help context sensitive
- [PICARD-1578] – Allow dragging images from Bing image search result
- [PICARD-1579] – Dragging cover art from Google image search on Linux drops just preview image
- [PICARD-1581] – “Recursively add files and folders” is very technical and hard to understand
- [PICARD-1586] – Support for ReplayGain 2.0 tags
- [PICARD-1599] – Use fpcalc json output for more robust output parsing
It’s time for another server update! This release mostly includes small improvements to make the MusicBrainz site show data in places where it was missing and have more clear messages for the users. We have a lot of other small improvements in the pipeline which we hope to release in the next couple of updates, so if this doesn’t help with any of your pet peeves hopefully those will!
Thanks to CatQuest, chaban, danbloo, demosdemon, eey0re, ianmcorvidae, ijabz, jesus2099, Lotheric, murdos, PeterCodar, $nake, SothoTalker for having reported issues, and to every single one of you who tested the beta version and updated website localizations.
The git tag is
- [MBS-4478] – Misleading messages when adding new entities through an edit
- [MBS-10273] – Huge and weird spacing in front of the release year column on artist pages in beta
- [MBS-10320] – Don’t wrongly nag local users of MB slave server
- [MBS-10337] – ISRCs and ratings not shown when artist overview consists of recordings only
- [MBS-975] – Permanently (301) redirect from track/ to recording/
- [MBS-4161] – List blog relationship type under the External links section
- [MBS-4787] – Permanently (301) redirect http://musicbrainz.org/ns/mmd-2.0# to web service documentation
- [MBS-5049] – Show edit note syntax help in edit page too
- [MBS-10269] – Release editor: Open artist credits preview in a new window
- [MBS-10280] – When deleting user, cancel open edits from newest to oldest
- [MBS-10291] – Consider “、” as a delimiter when splitting featured artists
- [MBS-10324] – Lowercase “Takes” with guess case
- [MBS-10336] – Clarify disc.track on recording pages
- [MBS-10338] – Show ratings on artists’ recording page
We’ve recently found out about the Open Publishing Awards::
The goal of the inaugural Open Publishing Awards is to promote and celebrate a wide variety of open projects in Publishing.
All content types emanating from the Publishing sector are eligible including Open Access articles, open monographs, Open Educational Resource Materials, open data, open textbooks etc.
Open data? That’s us! We’ve got a pile of it and if you like the work we do, why not nominate us for an award?