Today we’ve deployed a new build of the search server code. As you may know, we’ve been having loads of issues with our search servers recently.
In an effort to figure out what causes the bizarre behaviour we’ve observed, we compiled a new version of the codebase with a more recent version of Lucene. In theory this makes no feature changes to the codebase, but you never know if that is actually the case.
We hope that this build will be more stable, but we’ll need to observe over the next few days to see if that will be the case. If you spot any problems, please report them in our SEARCH bug tracker.
We’ve been asked to provide instructions for how to upgrade a search server installation. We’ve got two answers for you:
- Short answer: Use the jar/war files linked below. Deploy these into whatever setup you’re currently using.
- Long answer: Check out the source (svn rev 13728) of the search server and follow the install instructions to build your own jar/war files.
Links: indexer jar, servlet war
In conjunction with our main server release we’ve released a new search server. Thanks for your hard work on this release, Paul!
This release contains changes to match the Autumn 2013 database schema changes plus some bug fixes and improvements mostly to do with artist credits and aliases. See the detailed list of issues that are fixed in this version:
- [SEARCH-46] – Searching for a release by releasename and artists english name will give no matches
- [SEARCH-122] – Recording Search only adds release artist credit if different to recording artist credit and VA release
- [SEARCH-304] – Webservice Json output for aliases when searching is inconsistent for boolean values
- [SEARCH-311] – Recording, release and releasegroup search results incomplete artist aliases
- [SEARCH-324] – Release search should return catalog numbers in ascending order
- [SEARCH-132] – Allow to filter release search by quality
- [SEARCH-242] – The searcher can’t guess that the artist name one’s looking for is alias or artist name ☞ look for both
- [SEARCH-288] – Include alias sortnames when searching works
On 13th June we updated the search servers once more. Thanks for fixing bugs and adding Area support, Paul!
Release Notes – MusicBrainz Search Server – Version 2013-06-13
- [SEARCH-297] – Webservice Json output for aliases when searching is inconsistent with output when doing a lookup
- [SEARCH-302] – search server json output use singular for a list of release-groups.
- [SEARCH-292] – Include area info in the indexed search artist and label results
- [SEARCH-299] – Ouput TrackIds
- [SEARCH-273] – Support for multiple country/release events on release as as part of schema changes
- [SEARCH-286] – Add areas to the indexed search
Yesterday we pushed out a new version of our search servers to fix some regressions introduced last week. Thanks to Paul Taylor for fixing these bugs so quickly.
Release Notes – MusicBrainz Search Server – Version 2013-20-05
- [SEARCH-290] – REGRESSION WS2 RECORDING query returns cropped artist-credit
- [SEARCH-294] – REGRESSION:Search results no longer include medium-list count attribute
- [SEARCH-298] – REGRESSION:ws/1 release search seems broken
- [SEARCH-296] – Update README to point to up-to-date mmd-schema repository
Coninciding with our main server release, we’ve updated our search servers. This version fixes some bugs from the last release and adds support for countries and track ids.
Thanks for your hard work on this release, Paul!
Release Notes – MusicBrainz Search Server – Version 2013-05-15
- [SEARCH-236] – Incomplete VA artist credit included for releases in recording search
- [SEARCH-282] – REGRESSION:Johanne Sebastian Bach is not the first result when search for artist Bach
- [SEARCH-283] – REGRESSION:"-" is returned instead of an empty list when there are no ISWCs for a work
- [SEARCH-284] – REGRESSION:"-" is returned instead of an empty list when there are no ISRCs for a recording
- [SEARCH-219] – Include alias sortnames when searching labels or artists
- [SEARCH-257] – entity search : entity name should have more weight than aliases and artist credits
- [SEARCH-268] – Add extended alias info to the ws search results
- [SEARCH-269] – WS searches don’t return aliases that match the artist name
- [SEARCH-274] – Support for changes to Countries in forthcoming Schema release
- [SEARCH-285] – Support for TrackIds in forthcoming Schema Release
Last week’s search server release had some bugs that we decided should be fixed sooner than later. Paul Taylor rose to the challenge and fixed 4 important bugs and we just finished releasing the updated code. Thanks for your efforts, Paul!
Release Notes – MusicBrainz Search Server – Version 2013-04-04
- [SEARCH-279] – Seach server returning wrong results
- [SEARCH-280] – Artist search DAVID BOWIE → FRANZ SCHUBERT (score 100) !? Bowie (score 0)
- [SEARCH-281] – If set explain=true option with dismax search it actually does a non-indexed search
- [SEARCH-267] – Create new rewrite method for Dismax FuzzySearch
We’ve just updated our search servers to the latest version. Thanks to Paul Taylor for his long hard work porting our code to Lucene 4.1. Big thanks also to Murdos and Nikki for helping with this release!
Also, we’ve installed a small gigabit ethernet switch for our search server cluster so that we can move new search indexes around much faster. Hopefully we will see indexes updating in just over 2 hours from now on.
Read on for all the details of this release:
Release Notes – MusicBrainz Search Server – Version 2013-03-29
- [SEARCH-239] – Search updater doesn’t update the index last-updated value returned by SEARCH-232
- [SEARCH-244] – Since the October Schema Change Release, search server is now returning empty join phrases when once doesnt exist , whereas before it didn’t display it all
- [SEARCH-247] – Runtime Exception: The property or field count on the class org.musicbrainz.mmd2.Medium$TrackList is required to be included in the propOrder element of the XmlType annotation.
- [SEARCH-263] – Search server applications do not gracefully disconnect from PostgreSQL on termination
- [SEARCH-217] – Allow searching and displaying of folksnomy tags for the release entity
- [SEARCH-246] – Extend support for searching for blank parameters to ISWC and ISRC
- [SEARCH-228] – Let Dismax Search for Labels search Label Code
We’ve just updated our search servers with a new release. This release adds support for a new improved json format for the search server and will be publicly available after the next mbserver release. We also now output the date (in the XML/json) the index was last updated so you know how old the results received are. This will be exposed to the end-user in the web search results in an upcoming release of musicbrainz-server.
Thanks to Paul Taylor and Aurélien Mino for making this release happen!
- [SEARCH-232] – Search server should return information about when the indexes were last updated