We have released Picard 2.2.1, which is a small bugfix release for the recently released Picard 2.2. Thanks to everybody who gave feedback and reported issues.
Picard 2.2.1 is available for download on the Picard website.
The changes in detail:
- [PICARD-1603] – Translations from picard/ui/colors.py don’t show up in Picard
- [PICARD-1604] – Windows install is not using Qt default translations
- [PICARD-1607] – Upgrading a plugin displays the dialog box multiple times
- [PICARD-1608] – “[non-album tracks]” can not directly be removed
- [PICARD-1609] – Picard About shows Qt version PyQt was build against, not actually used Qt
- [PICARD-1602] – Tests should not be included in the sdist package
The Picard Team is proud to announce the release of MusicBrainz Picard 2.2. This version provides a number of new features and bug fixes. Some of the highlights are:
- Files can be moved to sub folders without renaming the actual file (see below for details).
- Colors used for highlighting changes in files and metadata can now be configured in options.
- A new integrated media player toolbar. This feature is considered beta and is disabled by default, but you can enable the toolbar in the menu with View > Player. Please note that the file formats supported by the player depend on your operating system.
- New plugin hooks which trigger when a file was added to a release, a file was removed from a release, a file was saved and a file was loaded.
- Improved support for dropping cover art images directly from Google and Bing image search results.
- Support for ReplayGain 2.0 tags.
There are a few potentially backward incompatible changes.
- Amazon cover art moved to plugin: If you have been using the Amazon cover art you will need to install the Amazon Cover Art plugin in Options > Plugins. The functionality remains the same, we just moved it to a plugin.
- Moving files without renaming creates folder structure: Previously Picard would just drop all files into the selected target folder if “Move files” was enabled but “Rename files” was disabled. This was not very useful. Now Picard will generate the folder hierarchy according to your script.
If you want to retain the old functionality use a renaming script that does not generate any folder hierarchy (no slash or backslash characters in the script).
- The minimum supported macOS version is now macOS Sierra (10.12) or higher. If you are using macOS 10.10 or 10.11 you can continue using Picard 2.1.3.
Picard 2.2 is available for download on the Picard website.
Thanks to everybody who contributed to this release with code, translations, testing, bug reports and general feedback. This is much appreciated and we are always happy to see new contributors.
Here is the full changelog:
- [PICARD-456] – “Delete empty directories” should not delete special folders such as the desktop
- [PICARD-571] – Scripting and renaming font on macOS and Windows not monospace
- [PICARD-622] – File Browser resets horizontal scrolling on selection change
- [PICARD-765] – Refreshing a release reloads the CAA index.json file from cache, even if it changed online
- [PICARD-1025] – An empty destination directory prevents the options from being saved, but doesn’t show an error
- [PICARD-1090] – Match quality indicators are blurry
- [PICARD-1282] – ⌘W does not close Preferences window
- [PICARD-1284] – Can’t quit with preferences open
- [PICARD-1446] – Expand/collapse indicator for the release is briefly missing
- [PICARD-1483] – Can’t submit fingerprints to non-album recordings
- [PICARD-1489] – Crash on start when loading python-discid without libdiscid being available
- [PICARD-1490] – Local cover art provider fails on Windows
- [PICARD-1491] – Version check when loading Picard plugins too strict
- [PICARD-1492] – Can’t save rated tracks when it’s a FLAC file (when Metadata/Ratings is active)
- [PICARD-1493] – Crash on pre 1.0 config upgrade
- [PICARD-1497] – Saving fails when setting tags with invalid names for the underlying tagging format
- [PICARD-1499] – Picard loads embedded cover art with ID3 type “other” as sticker
- [PICARD-1501] – Double click in a cover opens it in web browser instead of an image viewer
- [PICARD-1503] – Scanning CDROM uses path containing ampersand (&)
- [PICARD-1516] – Picard fails to load MP4 without tags
- [PICARD-1517] – Functions matchedtracks and is_complete throw exception when run on cluster
- [PICARD-1522] – Crash when removing NAT recordings
- [PICARD-1527] – Can’t resize options window in 2.1.x (Mac)
- [PICARD-1529] – NAT tracks get assigned wrong cover art
- [PICARD-1533] – Attribute Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling must be set before QCoreApplication is created
- [PICARD-1541] – Closing log views destroys widgets
- [PICARD-1543] – v2.1.3 crashes when selecting Preferences in the Apple menu 10.14.5
- [PICARD-1547] – Picard doesn’t warn about not updating .wav metadata
- [PICARD-1549] – Source distributions are broken on Windows
- [PICARD-1551] – “compare_to_track” method considers “score” parameter only if track has releases
- [PICARD-1556] – Default File Naming Script produces “00” track number in file name.
- [PICARD-1558] – Setting rating on a track does not apply to already matched files
- [PICARD-1566] – Cannot drag misidentified song back to the left pane
- [PICARD-1567] – Parsing track number from file name modifies original title in metadata
- [PICARD-1571] – On macOS multiple option dialogs can be opened
- [PICARD-1573] – Crash when loading release with a tag that contains only whitespace.
- [PICARD-1575] – Can’t drag and drop a picture from the Google Picture Result Page to Picard.
- [PICARD-1580] – Crash when closing options window on “Preferred Releases” page
- [PICARD-1582] – “Allow selection of multiple directories” has no effect on Linux with Gtk file chooser
- [PICARD-1584] – Crash when disabling script function providing plugin
- [PICARD-1585] – On macOS restore default options dialog opens in background
- [PICARD-1588] – Metadata box shows tags unsupported by format
- [PICARD-1591] – Error when loading Vorbis file with invalid metadata_block_picture
- [PICARD-1593] – Picard crashes on plugin install error
- [PICARD-1595] – Cursor in tag edit box always jumps to end on input
- [PICARD-1598] – Metadata box hidden when album gets updated
- [PICARD-1601] – PyPI source tarball misses some test data
- [PICARD-143] – Add a plugin hook for a file-added-to-a-track event
- [PICARD-1130] – Post save plugins
- [PICARD-1488] – Built-in media player (beta feature)
- [PICARD-1510] – Add a plugin hook for a file-removed-from-a-track event
- [PICARD-1512] – Add a plugin hook for an album-removed event
- [PICARD-1514] – Replace genre / folksonomy tag blacklist with more comprehensive list
- [PICARD-1524] – Replace hardcoded colors by user-configurable ones
- [PICARD-1560] – Add a plugin hook for a file loaded event
- [PICARD-1594] – Provide $is_video() / $is_audio scripting functions
- [PICARD-1353] – Update Travis CI to use newer Xcode
- [PICARD-1388] – Document how to uninstall local built version of picard from CLI
- [PICARD-1561] – test_file.TestPreserveTimes fails on macOS 10.14
- [PICARD-1563] – Add ‘picard.egg-info’ file to .gitignore
- [PICARD-1235] – Picard is not responding during start while CD is being inserted
- [PICARD-1361] – Add “Launch Picard” to Windows installer
- [PICARD-1400] – Remove Amazon cover art provider from Picard and place it into a plugin
- [PICARD-1468] – Localize Windows installer
- [PICARD-1485] – Picard should show the hours of long tracks
- [PICARD-1494] – Use Python3.3+ nano seconds resolution stat()/utime() to preserve times on file save
- [PICARD-1496] – Display count of Other versions available once known in album’s contextual menu
- [PICARD-1502] – qApp.setDesktopFileName (wayland app_ip)
- [PICARD-1525] – Log/History views are updated even if not actually visible
- [PICARD-1546] – Display in Others submenu is messy for albums with a lot of tracks
- [PICARD-1552] – “compare_to_release_parts” considers track count of only first medium
- [PICARD-1559] – Allow moving files to subfolders without renaming
- [PICARD-1564] – Picard code for parsing response from AcoustID servers ignores tracks
- [PICARD-1576] – Open option help context sensitive
- [PICARD-1578] – Allow dragging images from Bing image search result
- [PICARD-1579] – Dragging cover art from Google image search on Linux drops just preview image
- [PICARD-1581] – “Recursively add files and folders” is very technical and hard to understand
- [PICARD-1586] – Support for ReplayGain 2.0 tags
- [PICARD-1599] – Use fpcalc json output for more robust output parsing
Following up on our release from last week, we found a number of minor problems in production that were really hard to spot on our test setup. Sometimes you need to have real data flowing through your system before you can find the real problems.
The following pull requests were merged and released just now:
This should hopefully make the follow page work a little better for everyone. 🙂
For the past few months we’ve been working on enabling ListenBrainz to record your Spotify listening history automatically and we’ve just now released this feature! If you would like ListenBrainz to record your Spotify listening history automatically (and make it public!), go here to link your Spotify account to ListenBrainz. We’ll take care of the rest!
We would like to encourage as many users as possible to record their listening histories in ListenBrainz. With the data we collect and safeguard for you, we will soon start building more music discovery features. Please help our mission and go connect your account now!
This release also adds two new pages: Recent listens and the “follow” page. The recent listens page shows the most recent listens that we’ve saved in ListenBrainz for any user. This is a convenient way for you to discover other users who are currently listening to music.
The follow page is the new feature that we’re really excited about — it allows you to listen to the music that other people are currently listening to — pick a number of users to follow and their recent listens will appear on the page. The new embedded Spotify player can start playing the music as the listens roll in. This allows you to follow your friends and learn about music that they love! We’re going to write another blog post that talks more about the follow page and how we plan to improve that going forward — stay tuned for that.
This release also re-organizes the menu layout a little, moving the most useful features so that they’re easily accessible. Behind the scenes we’ve upgraded to using Python 3.7, starting using some portions of React for our user interface and also found ourselves amazed that this release included 646 commits! We hope to go to a more regular schedule of releases from here on out — this was a big push for us with a lot of infrastructure improvements that were needed.
This release would not have been possible if Monkey (from BookBrainz) didn’t come and help us write the UI for the follow feature. Monkey, iliekcomputers and myself worked relentlessly for weeks trying to push out some exciting features that show off the first steps for what we have planned for ListenBrainz. We’re quite excited for this release and we hope that you’ll enjoy the follow page and discover new music!
Picard Team is proud to announce MusicBrainz Picard 2.1.3 is now officially released.
It includes a lot of bug fixes, and few improvements, but no major feature.
Thanks to all developers, translators, testers and users who contributed to this version, and especially Philip Wolfer (phw/outsidecontext).
Here is the complete changelog:
- [PICARD-323] – Only the discid of the first disc in a release is written to tags
- [PICARD-455] – Picard setting cover art height, width and depth to 0 for FLAC files –> breaks libFLAC
- [PICARD-729] – Tracks get stuck at “[loading track information]” on Bad Gateway errors
- [PICARD-938] – Need two left-arrow key presses to go from track with file to album
- [PICARD-1178] – Images tagged with extra types that the user has chosen to ignore should not be shown as ‘modified’
- [PICARD-1288] – Folskonomy tags / genre fallback on album artists tags not working
- [PICARD-1422] – Windows: Uninstall 32 bit Picard before upgrade
- [PICARD-1447] – When releasing a new version, appdata should also be updated
- [PICARD-1460] – Windows installer does not detect running instance
- [PICARD-1461] – Crash when running with Spanish language
- [PICARD-1463] – Picard crashes on startup on Windows
- [PICARD-1469] – Force close when adding songs to larger albums
- [PICARD-1471] – Artist searches do not show begin and end area
- [PICARD-1473] – AcoustId lookup fails if fingerprint already in tags
- [PICARD-1474] – Windows installer shows outdated version string in file properties
- [PICARD-1475] – Cover art sources do not support HTTPS
- [PICARD-1476] – Filled up thread pool prevents metadata box updates
- [PICARD-1478] – Changing MB server requires a restart
- [PICARD-1480] – Search line input clear button icon is too small
- [PICARD-1459] – Remove OptionsPage.info method
- [PICARD-1472] – macOS code signing on Travis CI fails for xcode7.3 image
- [PICARD-1242] – Consider the number of AcoustID sources for linked recordings
- [PICARD-1457] – “Check for Update” should be in the Picard menu
- [PICARD-1458] – “Check for Update” should have an ellipsis at the end
- [PICARD-1470] – Make warning about Qt locale loading less prominent
As usual, packages will be available from Picard website and from GitHub release pages
Bugs can be reported on Picard bug tracker.
Picard 2.1.2 includes just few changes over Picard 2.1.0, but fixes some annoying bugs, so it is recommended to upgrade:
- [PICARD-1382] – macOS packaging script ignores all errors
- [PICARD-1451] – Redirects of authenticated requests fail with 401 error
- [PICARD-1454] – Crashes when adding action to toolbar in options
As usual, packages will be available from Picard website and from GitHub release pages
Bugs can be reported on Picard bug tracker.
MusicBrainz Picard 2.1 is finally here. This version includes a lot of fixes and improvements over previous stable version (2.0.4). It is recommended to upgrade of course.
Most notably, it includes following changes:
- support for MusicBrainz genres
- new convenient script functions:
- new command line option (
--no-plugins) allowing to skip plugin loading, which may help when a plugin is crashing Picard at start and to identify if an issue is due to a plugin or the main program
- improve tags support, better compatibility with other applications, wider range of audio files supported
- better stability and performance
I’d like to thank all developers, translators, testers and users who contributed to this version, kudos to Philip Wolfer (phw).
Binary packages from OSx and Windows are available from Picard Github releases page and from Picard website.
Here is the complete change log:
- [PICARD-105] – Picard won’t load non-album tracks from fingerprints
- [PICARD-421] – Releases in private collections are not shown as being in them
- [PICARD-518] – Sliders without labels in “Options – Metadata – Preferred Releases”
- [PICARD-637] – $matchedtracks is broken
- [PICARD-875] – AIFF does not support any of the compatid3 tags
- [PICARD-949] – Track can be placed in the incorrect spot on the release after using Scan
- [PICARD-1013] – False file save error in specific circumstances
- [PICARD-1060] – Collections menu not displayed correctly anymore
- [PICARD-1112] – Cannot save tags that were previously deleted from file
- [PICARD-1133] – Plugins list doesn’t load automatically after setting proxy
- [PICARD-1162] – Solo vocals are tagged wrong
- [PICARD-1219] – Picard creating empty ID3 TIPL / TMCL / IPLS frames
- [PICARD-1245] – Set field “Grouping” doesn’t work as expected
- [PICARD-1275] – After uninstalling a plugin Picard needs to be restarted for it to be reinstalled
- [PICARD-1281] – Picard has wrong version string on macOS
- [PICARD-1320] – Black text on a dark theme
- [PICARD-1332] – Deleted tags for matched files stay deleted
- [PICARD-1336] – MP4 reports “bpm” as unsupported tag
- [PICARD-1339] – Removing unclustered files can be very slow
- [PICARD-1340] – File info doesn’t display Mono / Stereo in Channels field anymore
- [PICARD-1341] – Cluster track order misinterprets disc/track numbers
- [PICARD-1346] – Move additional files fails if multiple patterns match
- [PICARD-1348] – Keyboard shortcuts broken due to localization
- [PICARD-1350] – Drag and drop on cover image box does not always work as expected
- [PICARD-1355] – Setting or unsetting album for non-album tracks does not work
- [PICARD-1359] – Crash with tagger integration when using DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials
- [PICARD-1364] – picard.exe has no version tag
- [PICARD-1368] – Info messages are not shown on logging level Info
- [PICARD-1369] – Crash on Python 3.7.0 opening URLs
- [PICARD-1370] – Windows installer to add “Quick Launch” icon no longer supported on Win10
- [PICARD-1371] – Windows installer does not warn when installing on 32 bit system
- [PICARD-1373] – Source distributions are unusable
- [PICARD-1374] – Picard crashes while typing a regular expression in some cases
- [PICARD-1375] – Metadata sanitation before move-script execution fails
- [PICARD-1376] – Error saving Ape files with tag marked for deletion that does not exist
- [PICARD-1381] – Test results depend on execution order of tests
- [PICARD-1397] – Do not save tags marked as unsupported
- [PICARD-1398] – Snap package is missing locale files
- [PICARD-1405] – Pasting formatted text into scripting window shows formatting
- [PICARD-1410] – Loading Vorbis file with invalid rating value fails
- [PICARD-1412] – Deleting tag counts not as important metadata change
- [PICARD-1414] – Image errors lead to crash in info dialog
- [PICARD-1415] – Open Containing Folder and Open with MusicPlayer does nothing for UNC paths
- [PICARD-1418] – Display localized default dialogs and keyboard shortcut hints
- [PICARD-1420] – Can not save wma file. TypeError: sequence item 0
- [PICARD-1428] – Removing tags which are only in original file metadata not possible
- [PICARD-1430] – “Authentication required” dialog does not trigger authentication
- [PICARD-1431] – Some ID3 frames gets deleted even if the corresponding tags are shown as unchanged
- [PICARD-1434] – Tag acoustid_id can not be removed or deleted in script
- [PICARD-1436] – Text extraction of “title” and “label” for translation.
- [PICARD-1437] – After reload file is being shown as changed
- [PICARD-1438] – Message box buttons Yes/No aren’t translated
- [PICARD-1439] – Newline character in cover art naming script causes exception on saving
- [PICARD-490] – Allow tagging AAC/ADTS files with APEv2 tags
- [PICARD-1043] – Support reading & writing iTunes Classical tags
- [PICARD-1045] – Check for new version
- [PICARD-1268] – Support concertmaster recording relationships as performer:concertmaster
- [PICARD-1273] – Add an option to exclude new cover art type “Raw / Unedited”
- [PICARD-1319] – Provide cover art metadata to cover image naming script
- [PICARD-1344] – Add $delete function
- [PICARD-1352] – Add a command-line option to skip plugin loading
- [PICARD-1354] – Allow using vocals and instruments as credited
- [PICARD-1367] – Allow opening searches in browser when using search dialogs
- [PICARD-1384] – Add AppStream data
- [PICARD-1386] – Add $title function
- [PICARD-1395] – Support genres from MusicBrainz
- [PICARD-1440] – Support loading and renaming Standard MIDI Files (SMF)
- [PICARD-1333] – Run CI tests agaist oldest supported mutagen
- [PICARD-1347] – Refactor script.py to avoid code duplication
- [PICARD-1365] – Allow building with PyQt 5.11 or later
- [PICARD-1442] – Support new Audio Play secondary type
- [PICARD-1407] – Save originalalbum / originalartist to ASF/WMA
- [PICARD-1408] – Save originalalbum / originalartist to APE
- [PICARD-664] – When dragging a recording, show the actual file name instead of the path
- [PICARD-792] – Package a start menu tile for Windows 10 on the windows version
- [PICARD-1039] – Use forward delete instead of delete button on macOS
- [PICARD-1049] – Picard should use TXXX:WORK rather than TXXX:Work
- [PICARD-1068] – Picard should use MP4 Â©wrk for Work rather than generic text field
- [PICARD-1244] – Refresh list of plugins after uninstalling or installing a local plugin
- [PICARD-1285] – There is no Close menu item in Picard 2.0 on macOS
- [PICARD-1313] – Refactor plugin UI
- [PICARD-1325] – Allow disabling new version update checking for packagers
- [PICARD-1338] – Picard should be more resilient if it gets invalid responses from servers
- [PICARD-1358] – Use macOS style widgets in the user interface of the macOS version of Picard
- [PICARD-1363] – AcoustId submission for matched files is impossible when musicbrainz_recordingid is unset
- [PICARD-1366] – Show Python version in about
- [PICARD-1379] – Port astrcmp to new Python C Unicode API
- [PICARD-1383] – Use MCN / barcode read from disc to improve DiscId lookup
- [PICARD-1393] – Change the application ID
- [PICARD-1416] – Should store ID3 Artists field as TXXX:ARTISTS not TXXX:Artists
- [PICARD-1417] – Only show plugins with compatible API version
- [PICARD-1424] – Translate AppStream data
- [PICARD-1425] – Support all movement tags for APE, Vorbis and MP3
- [PICARD-1426] – Map musicbrainz_originalalbumid and musicbrainz_originalartistid to MP4 and WMA
- [PICARD-1443] – Sort secondary release types in UI alphabetically