With Christmas, New Year, and all that fuss out of the way, I’ve finally been able to get a new release out. We’re only 2 weeks behind on this one I think… oops. Hopefully, we make up for it with these fixes. Also, just a quick reminder that our little scheduling website is open, and needs your feedback to help us decide what will make it into future versions. Happy editing!
- [MBS-1117] – Show relationship attributes on artist relationship pages
- [MBS-1169] – Musicbrainz website is missing HTML escaping on user entered data
- [MBS-1391] – Relate to… box stays up until you click cancel
- [MBS-2022] – Amazon referrer stuff not included in Amazon links
- [MBS-2770] – Inline Search: problems changing from indexed to direct
- [MBS-3352] – Typing "57" in length field should become "0:57"
- [MBS-3357] – In Release Editor Recordings tab there direct search doesnt seem to consider the artist when showing matches.
- [MBS-3512] – Release editor added a track duration out of the blue
- [MBS-3790] – Error (foreign key constraint violation) when editing URL
- [MBS-3832] – Clicking one "vote on all edits" button doesn’t unselect other
- [MBS-3941] – Can’t unselect an entity in Add Missing Entities
- [MBS-3942] – Proposer and seconders can’t see voting tally in autoeditor elections
- [MBS-3953] – /ws/2/release/mbid with ‘recordings’ inc parameter crashes if the release doesn’t have any tracks
- [MBS-3970] – Admin menu in menu bar not displayed anymore
- [MBS-4012] – Track times without colons are no longer guessed
- [MBS-4015] – Edit Relationship page is missing some css
- [MBS-4042] – Disambiguation field is still labelled as "comment" on some pages
- [MBS-4086] – Data dumps don’t import using master
- [MBS-801] – Display release relationships on release page
- [MBS-1362] – Add Range-checkbox-checking to site
- [MBS-1368] – Inline Search: focus on a field
- [MBS-1627] – Transcluded documentation should have hierarchy links
- [MBS-1904] – Background no longer changes colour when voting
- [MBS-1911] – Cryptic warning when merging works.
- [MBS-2409] – Allow removing recording-PUID links from the /puid pages
- [MBS-2465] – RE: Add Guess Sortname to the Add Missing Entities tab
- [MBS-2531] – Add IPI lookup to the lookup page
- [MBS-2890] – Show artist comment in Edit / Add medium edits
- [MBS-3042] – Add the possibility to update artist credits when renaming an artist
- [MBS-3277] – Make menus go away when I stop hovering
- [MBS-3447] – Releases should show how many people have it in their collection
- [MBS-3494] – Allow "Edit artist credit" to rename artist credits
- [MBS-3520] – Rename "quality" to "data quality"
- [MBS-3604] – Use tooltip to inform users on tracklist editor why they cannot edit track lengths
- [MBS-3854] – Annotation history page is confusing
- [MBS-3896] – "Change RG" page says nothing if search finds no results
- [MBS-3999] – Add user panel display for limited accounts
- [MBS-4011] – Allow kasi-time.com URLs for lyrics
- [MBS-3779] – Products menu needs to link to client libraries
On Christmas eve we updated our search servers with a couple of bug fixes, but then got side-tracked with Christmas itself to write this blog post. I’m finally now fixing this. 🙂
We updated our search server so that is it rate limiter enabled, which will allow us to free up another machine in the New Year. We also have two fixes in search to give better results when a name is made up of numbers, or a title contains punctuation characters.
Release Notes – MusicBrainz Search Server – Version 2011-12-24
- [SEARCH-161] – Search server should consult ratelimit-server
Many thanks to Paul for working on this!
We’ve just updated our search server with the latest changes and bug fixes!
This update to the Search Server finally solves the search for artist “!!!” problem properly, should now be able to find just about any artist, release, etc that contain any crazy character combination. Also you can now search for number of releases in release groups and artists with unknown gender. The code base has now been updated to Lucene 3.4, which was the latest available when these changes were made (its at 3.5 now).
Thanks for your hard work on this Paul!
- [SEARCH-33] – Search needs to find a preposterously bad label name: !"@.*!%
- [SEARCH-51] – Searching for certain characters returns no results, even if they’re valid.
- [SEARCH-131] – When search for Unknown country it returns <country>UNKNOWN</country> it should return nothing
- [SEARCH-134] – Annotation search can’t filter by type for release groups
- [SEARCH-93] – Update Search Index Code to Lucene 3.4
- [SEARCH-119] – Allow artist search for gender:unknown
- [SEARCH-124] – Allow searching release groups by # releases
- [SEARCH-128] – Make Search Server use mmap by default
Another update has just gone out, a few days later than planned. This is mostly a bug fix and minor improvement release. Sadly, when deploying the update we broke the release editor for anyone who was editing during the server switches – something we didn’t anticipate. Sorry! Here’s what’s changed:
- [MBS-2371] – Can’t type in the basic tracklist editor
- [MBS-2785] – Release Editor messes up release artist multi-artist credits
- [MBS-3152] – Tracklist duplication with sub-second track duration differences
- [MBS-3428] – If seed new release with track artist ids it doesnt properly resolve the artist ids
- [MBS-3471] – Wrong display of RG in the Edit Note tab of the RE
- [MBS-3498] – Editing tracklists on any release which has been through an artist split fails.
- [MBS-3601] – Incorrect "Artist as credited" displayed and impossible to edit track artist in release editor
- [MBS-3804] – Entering "Edit barcodes" edit should not be possible if nothing is being changed
- [MBS-3808] – Internal server error searching for edits
- [MBS-3813] – Release editor gets stuck on tracklist tab saying there are errors when there are none
- [MBS-3814] – Guess case broken in the RE
- [MBS-3816] – Track parser displays "This is placeholder text" instead of instructions (or nothing)
- [MBS-3831] – "There were one or more errors, please check the following fields: " after changing the capitalization of one letter
- [MBS-3836] – Tracklist tab showing only the first track when importing a CD stub
- [MBS-3849] – RE: Can’t import FreeDB releases through Add Disc
- [MBS-3858] – Tracklist duplication with equal sub-second track durations
- [MBS-3864] – importing a cd stub only gives you the first track in the track editor
- [MBS-3908] – Edit numbers in edit notes should not be parsed when they are on different lines
- [MBS-89] – Subscribed artist e-mails should be optional
- [MBS-2924] – timeline.js should use MB.html
- [MBS-3239] – Subscription emails > Option to receive weekly
- [MBS-3356] – Seeded add release (copied from existing release) doesnt link tracks to recordings of copied release
- [MBS-3684] – Improve sorting of the "Releases with superfluous data tracks" report
- [MBS-3743] – Move the trackparser (basic view) on the tracklist tab to the "Add Disc" dialog.
- [MBS-3892] – Display artist disambiguation comments on mouse over
- [MBS-3899] – Report: Discogs pages attached to multiple release groups
- [MBS-3911] – Remove all "DeferredUpdate" code
- [MBS-3733] – Add create/get session logging to release editor, to debug MBS-3379 / MBS-3590.
A few days behind on this one, but we’ve got this release out. This release has one controversial change, which I want to discuss in this blog post.
Displaying Relationships on Release Pages
A lot of people want this, and we’ve shipped something that adds this functionality. However, a lot of people think this is too verbose, and to a point I agree – there’s a lot of information there that can be displayed better. However, work on this issue has been on and off for almost the past 2 years. We’ve got a solution here that while far from ideal will get this ball rolling.
This is an unpopular move on my half, but I’m asking users to please try and bear with us until the next release (scheduled in for 5th December), which is just over a week away. Hopefully having this fairly messy display so open will raise enough discussion on how exactly to move forward. If you really must see it gone, you can use AdBlock or user styles in your browser to hide the
Changes in this Release
- [MBS-2067] – CDStub not displayed in the "Matching CDs" section on CDTOC lookup page
- [MBS-3668] – all edits including "Auto-edits" are being tallied as "Accepted" edits in editor profile
- [MBS-3688] – Wrong coverart on all-zeros barcodes
- [MBS-3718] – Inline search has problems with search terms with " (double quotes) and colons in them (and maybe others)
- [MBS-3734] – Google indexes MusicBrainz search result (and some other) pages it shouldn’t
- [MBS-3754] – Splitting an artist shouldn’t be an auto-edit
- [MBS-3755] – Importing from FreeDB puts the artist name in the wrong field
- [MBS-3759] – Auto-editor election isn’t showing own vote (instead: private)
- [MBS-3764] – Typo on artist merge page
- [MBS-3768] – Error when editing URL into one that already exists
- [MBS-3777] – Musicbrainz breaks https://secure.wikimedia.org link in edit notes
- [MBS-3786] – Entities with tag count on top of tag view page is incorrect
- [MBS-2979] – Enable CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing)
- [MBS-3105] – Country/Language/Script statistics should include a statistic for those with none set.
- [MBS-3752] – Making edit note for "Add release" mandatory
- [MBS-3767] – Distinguish between Discogs master and release URLs on release pages
- [MBS-3778] – Separate release group links from release links on release pages
- [MBS-496] – Display recording relationships on a release page
- [MBS-3761] – Add songfacts to the sideboard
It’s been a while, but we’ve finally got a new server release out! This one didn’t go perfectly smoothly, and we had (more, i’m afraid) troubles with the release editor. We’ve got a fix for this out, so editing should be at least as stable as it was before. As always, please do continue to report any bugs you find. Here’s what’s changed:
- [MBS-761] – Release has ASIN but no cover art ("No cover image available.")
- [MBS-1169] – Musicbrainz website is missing HTML escaping on user entered data
- [MBS-2529] – Orphaned release group and recordings after rejecting or cancelling a release/medium
- [MBS-2590] – Unused URLs not being removed
- [MBS-2847] – Merging artists moves the comment from the old artist to the new one
- [MBS-3102] – Changing release artists automatically changes all track artists
- [MBS-3305] – Artist missing in edit medium edit
- [MBS-3451] – Unterminated link on CD Stub page causes "Overview" and "Edit" tabs to display incorrectly
- [MBS-3466] – otherlookup for non-existent MBID throws ISE
- [MBS-3522] – Bad gateway errors in Add Missing Entities trying to add large VA releases without locking down artists
- [MBS-3656] – Clicking text (Yes/No/Abstain/None) on the most recent open edit changes votes on all edits in that page.
- [MBS-3657] – Medium order not allowed when merging releases
- [MBS-3675] – Modbot failing edit relationship edits with "This relationship has already been deleted"
- [MBS-3677] – Recording page doesn’t highlight releases with pending edits or show disambiguation comments
- [MBS-3689] – Tagger button on tag lookup for recordings confusingly leads to "non-album tracks"
- [MBS-3715] – Fix the wording for YouTube videos on the sidebar
- [MBS-3719] – Format/display of recording search results is broken for standalone recordings
- [MBS-3741] – Incorrect artist_credit.name
- [MBS-1766] – Display lyrics and score links in work sidebar (in the External link section)
- [MBS-2478] – Pages for releases should also show ARs from the release group they are contained within.
- [MBS-2942] – Warn users that FreeDB indexes are only updated monthly
- [MBS-3192] – Display release group URLs also on release pages
- [MBS-3495] – Make IMSLP links look like the Wikipedia ones
- [MBS-3508] – Indicate if a release group contains only one release in release group
- [MBS-3713] – Add JS autoselect for the SoundCloud relationships
- [MBS-3714] – Add cleanup for YouTube video URLs
- [MBS-3747] – Create script to split arranger relationships
- [MBS-71] – Add auto-editor elections
- [MBS-3697] – MusicBrainz needs to comply with new changes of Amazon Product Advertising API taking effect on October 25, 2011
- [MBS-3710] – Tranclude "People" instead of "MusicBrainz_Bio"
Lukáš Lalinský announced here:
We released a new version of Picard today. This new release includes a number of bug fixes. Unicode punctuation is now replaced by default for new users. Title standardization has been removed, as track titles now follow the same style guidelines as recording titles.
One larger change that is hidden by default is support for AcoustID fingerprinting. AcoustID is a new, completely open source, audio fingerprinting project, started by me last year. I’m really glad to finally integrate it with Picard. Integration with the MusicBranz website is planned for later. Configuring Picard to use AcoustID instead of AmpliFIND should be completely transparent, there are no visual differences in the scanning process. Note that this feature requires downloading an extra application, see the AcoustID wiki page for details.
Changes since version 0.15.1:
- Fixed track metadata plugins.
- Added new internal %_totalalbumtracks% tag field. (PICARD-16)
- Track metadata plugins now run also on non-album tracks. (PICARD-7)
- Fixed custom Various Artists name on the %albumartist% field. (PICARD-5)
- Album artist is now correctly “translated”. (PICARD-1)
- Unicode punctuation is now converted to ASCII by default.
- WavPack correction files are moved together with the main files. (PICARD-15)
- Unicode filename normalization on OS X.
- Original release date is now saved into %originaldate%.
- Allow tagging with localized artist aliases (PICARD-17)
- Added a quit confirmation dialog. (PICARD-46)
- Standalone recordings can be tagged with relationships now. (PICARD-10)
- Refreshing an album will refresh its “other versions” listing. (PICARD-8)
- “Unicode punctuation to ASCII” now works on album-level metadata. (PICARD-50)
- DJ-mix tags should only be written to the medium where they apply. (PICARD-20)
- Support URL redirects in web service/network request module (PICARD-54)
- Jamendo and Archive.org cover art is displayed on web page, but not loaded by Picard plugin (PICARD-52)
- Edits to metadata in “Details…” menu not reflected in UI (PICARD-13)
- The status bar/new metadata box is updated when a selected file/track is changed. (PICARD-14)
You can download the new version, as usual, at http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard