As planned, another musicbrainz-server release today. Nothing too exciting this time, but we’ve got the usual lot of bug fixes and improvements in.
For all editors, setting a release group’s cover art is now an auto-edit (i.e. applied instantly). Another noticeable change on entity pages is the inclusion of Wikimedia Commons images in the sidebar on all tabs, if a relationship for one exists (previously they were only visible on the main tabs).
Thanks to chirlu, navap, nikki and ianmcorvidae for their work on today’s release (entire list of changes below). The git tag is
Note: The next release coincides with the MusicBrainz Summit (along with the core team members traveling in Europe), so the timeliness of it isn’t a sure thing, but we’ll do our best to stay on schedule.
- [MBS-5989] – Name variation marker used in edit’s tracks although track name == recording name
- [MBS-6088] – Pending relationship edits are not highlighted on inline release display
- [MBS-6573] – Release group cover art is automatically set to the newest cover art edit; reverting it is not an auto-edit.
- [MBS-6768] – “Edit artist alias” should show whether the alias is Locale Primary
- [MBS-7435] – RTL track titles incorrectly displayed on recording pages
- [MBS-7461] – Remember-me token has less than the advertised entropy
- [MBS-7598] – “ended” checkbox shows up even for relationships which can’t have dates
- [MBS-7721] – Wrong track order on add release
- [MBS-7762] – Artist commons image only shows on artist overview
- [MBS-7836] – Add ISRCs edits don’t display all useful and available data
- [MBS-7842] – Entity types not always translated on edit listings
- [MBS-7848] – Error selecting relationship type that requires an instrument
- [MBS-7852] – Relationships should only be loaded where necessary
- [MBS-7860] – Internal server error when you pass /ws/js/release a non-existent MBID
- [MBS-7861] – Exception using guess case on a medium with empty tracks
- [MBS-7867] – Changing the target of a relationship removes instrument attribute
- [MBS-7870] – Exception switching link type of relationship that has attributes to one that does not
- [MBS-1951] – Specify whether viewing “all” edits by a user or just “open” edits.
- [MBS-5995] – Always show original entity name in name variation entity tooltip
- [MBS-6866] – Enable privileged users to set the new status banner message text
- [MBS-6868] – Edit artist alias: primary for locale (which locale?)
- [MBS-7790] – Please divide the strings “yes” and “no”
- [MBS-7829] – List account admins on privileged users page
Another fortnight, another release. This one includes the usual bug fixes as well as some improvements. For editors, sort names are no longer required on alias pages (they’ll default to the name if left blank). For web service clients, it’s also now possible to do fuzzy TOC searches for non-CD mediums by passing a media-format=all option to the /ws/2/discid endpoint.
Thanks to chirlu, nikki, and the MetaBrainz team for their hard work on today’s release.
The git tag is
- [MBS-7739] – Release group type not properly displayed in RG search results
- [MBS-7744] – ws/2 not returning correct Area alias type
- [MBS-7763] – Cannot edit band membership
- [MBS-7771] – Textarea fields don’t escape HTML special characters
- [MBS-7774] – ISE when changing series relationship number attribute
- [MBS-7775] – Initial order is ignored when creating a manually ordered series
- [MBS-7783] – Empty link phrase section after removing relationship
- [MBS-6833] – Display a map on the places page
- [MBS-6896] – Stop requiring users to enter sortnames for non-artist entities
- [MBS-7757] – Add a media-format=all option to the /ws/2/discid endpoint
- [MBS-7758] – Do not require a discid argument if a TOC is supplied
- [MBS-7764] – _generic_link MACRO is really slow
- [MBS-7786] – Long URL cleanup regexes should be split into separate ones
- [MBS-7787] – Annotation edit types should share a single template
- [MBS-7756] – Make use of %ENTITIES in (yet) more places
It’s that exciting time again: another release of bug fixes and improvements. User-visible changes include a menu showing recently-used entities in autocomplete lookups (previously only available in the relationship editor), plus the display of other identities/legal names on artist pages. Thanks go to the MetaBrainz team and chirlu and nikki for their hard work on this release!
The git tag is
Here’s the complete changelog:
- [MBS-3537] – Add a unique constraint on medium (release, position)
- [MBS-7149] – Relationship editor AR popup: only previously used *artists* are remembered
- [MBS-7303] – Missing recordings in release (after updating the release)
- [MBS-7405] – Inline search claims there are no results when the search returns an error
- [MBS-7578] – Regression: Work types list is no longer sorted alphabetically
- [MBS-7605] – Release editor allows invalid characters to sneak into the database
- [MBS-7649] – Edit alias edits don’t display properly if the alias has since been removed
- [MBS-7651] – Alias edits show no value for various fields
- [MBS-7652] – edit_series_fk_edit and edit_series_fk_series are missing
- [MBS-7653] – MB.utility.joinList should use the same logic/strings as the comma_list MACRO
- [MBS-7665] – annotation edit changelog shows object reference ARRAY(0xa190008) instead of actual input text
- [MBS-7666] – DBDefs.pm.sample is still at schema version 19
- [MBS-7667] – GenerateSQLScripts doesn’t check for the existence of CreateTables.sql
- [MBS-7669] – Whitespace not trimmed for series number in the relationship editor
- [MBS-1943] – Reorganize the sidebar to show the most important information first
- [MBS-2474] – Display artist legal/performance name more prominently
- [MBS-2602] – Show recent labels/artists in lookup popups
- [MBS-6277] – Move release group relationships section for releases to the overview tab
- [MBS-6731] – Add link to doc/Release/Format from Tracklist tab
- [MBS-7668] – Add a stat for number of MBIDs known.
We’ve got a new server release! This is a big one, because it replaces the old release editor with a shiny new one — all based on work done during GSoC 2013 and finally completed now. Besides fixing close to 100 tickets that people have reported in the past, there are some visible changes you may notice:
- Tab switches are much faster, so the UI should feel more responsive overall.
- The “Add Missing Entities” tab has been removed; you can still create a new artist or label from within the release editor from the bottom of any inline search results menu. See our previous blog post on this feature for further information/guidance.
- The UI for editing artist credits now includes buttons to copy and paste entire credits between pages.
- Seeding release data should be less buggy, and the release editor now provides useful error messages if seeded data is incorrectly formatted.
The new release editor is a large overhaul that required many code changes – if you notice any issues with it, or any regressions from the previous release editor, please don’t hesitate to open an issue on our bug tracker, so we can look into it ASAP.
This release also features several fixes/improvements by chirlu and nikki, in addition to the MetaBrainz team. See the full list below!
The git tag for this release is
- [MBS-2034] – Release editor help/description bubbles break with a resizeable textarea
- [MBS-2124] – UX: Not obvious how to close the "artist credits" dialog in advanced tracklist editor
- [MBS-3501] – Basic track-parser does not filter/ignore track times when importing a CD + tracknames from FreeDB
- [MBS-3524] – 502 Bad Gateway when assigning different recordings to lots of tracks
- [MBS-3649] – Seeding release editor causes an internal server error if you literally pass "mediums.n.format_id"
- [MBS-3796] – Release editor can allow the same artist to be created twice without either having a disambig comment
- [MBS-3824] – Discs are ordered incorrectly on Recordings tab of Release editor
- [MBS-3829] – New track parser only parses one track if medium is minimized
- [MBS-4006] – Track Parser: "Track names start with a number" seems to work backwards
- [MBS-4193] – Add missing entities forgets selections
- [MBS-4194] – Warning about missing edit note before attempting to submit release
- [MBS-4196] – Unknown bug during tracklist edit
- [MBS-4312] – Track parser tries to reorder tracks even for rels with DiscIDs
- [MBS-4329] – Changing release artist after adding tracks doesn’t update track artists
- [MBS-4521] – Recordings tab has non-existent tracks
- [MBS-4549] – Not possible to filter Various Artists by artist credit
- [MBS-4550] – Problems with "Add Missing Entity" and the credits in the Edit Note tab
- [MBS-4559] – "Copy all track changes to associated recordings" check box inconsistent when going back to recordings tab
- [MBS-4571] – Track parser can be opened from collapsed disc, opens empty
- [MBS-4598] – Release editor is showing non-existent tracks for a release
- [MBS-4725] – Up and down arrows on tracklist tab of release editor should be disabled if release had discids
- [MBS-4802] – Creating new artist from release editor shows wrong in preview
- [MBS-4820] – No way to sync recordings with tracklist without making an edit
- [MBS-4848] – Guess case is missing on the add missing entities tab
- [MBS-4851] – When editing a release selecting ‘Infer track durations from associated recordings’ without changing the recording linked to the track has no effect.
- [MBS-4953] – Internal server error while adding new recording in the release editor
- [MBS-5158] – Using the "add missing entities" tab of the RE ends up implicitly creating ACs, rather than not (or explicitly) creating them
- [MBS-5159] – "Add missing entities" tab can only find matches if the artist name is in the same order as the entered text
- [MBS-5296] – 13-track release added from 12-track discID
- [MBS-5334] – Release Editor : "NaN:aN" for empty length
- [MBS-5393] – "Add Missing Entities" doesn’t update when adding a new VA release
- [MBS-5455] – Adding multiple releases simultaneously sometimes shares the session
- [MBS-5516] – Regression: Changing an accent in track title triggers recording confirmation
- [MBS-5569] – Internal server error when seeding the release editor
- [MBS-5571] – Going back to tracklist on releases with DiscIDs is messy
- [MBS-5646] – Clicking "Add a new recording" on the recordings tab of the release editor doesn’t select the radio button
- [MBS-5687] – ISE when trying to go to another "tab" in release editor (at "Edit Note" tab)
- [MBS-5731] – Internal server error if release editor is seeded with indexes starting from 1 not 0
- [MBS-5738] – Internal Server Error – adding recordings to a new release
- [MBS-5801] – ISE when going back to "edit note" after having ‘tabbed’ back to fix an AC
- [MBS-5805] – Internal server error when importing a CD stub
- [MBS-5806] – Internal Server Errors when adding a release
- [MBS-5817] – Track Parser and Collapsed Mediums
- [MBS-5894] – ‘Guess sort name’ in the release editor just copies the artist name
- [MBS-5936] – release editor internal server error on release add
- [MBS-5957] – Internal Server Error
- [MBS-6013] – ISE in release editor caused by corruption in recordings tab data.
- [MBS-6044] – Internal server error when trying to submit a tracklist while adding a new release.
- [MBS-6060] – Internal Server Error when trying to go back from "Edit Note" to "Recordings"
- [MBS-6064] – Internal server error when adding new artist in the release editor with same name/comment as existing artist
- [MBS-6127] – Edit tracklist and add track artist + copy track changes to recordings -> new artist not shown
- [MBS-6654] – tooltip for the current artist is not shown in the release editor
- [MBS-6875] – missing space in new member relationship before list of vocals instruments
- [MBS-6964] – checkboxes for "Also update the recording with track changes" don’t appear immediately
- [MBS-7035] – ISE submitting a new album
- [MBS-7082] – Beta: Release editor error messages not being correctly translated
- [MBS-7100] – Option to view non-official release groups not available when there are no official release groups
- [MBS-7143] – Relationship Editor display error with right-to-left languages
- [MBS-7190] – data corruption: Merging Releases chooses the wrong release date
- [MBS-7191] – Release merge might discard some or all release events
- [MBS-7199] – "historical" after area names is not translable
- [MBS-7204] – Some tools pad track numbers with leading zeroes? (the release editor by default doesn’t)
- [MBS-7206] – Opening a tracklist with a fullwidth space (\u3000) causes the Recording to become unset
- [MBS-7207] – Impossibility to credit artist as "0" (zero)
- [MBS-7209] – WorldCat URLs should not be considered scheme independent
- [MBS-7239] – FixTrackLengths script doesn’t fix some mediums due to requesting unimplemented and meaningless separate_tracklists option to edit medium edits
- [MBS-7244] – Server not responsive to large track edits
- [MBS-7245] – Properly abort the database setup if tar can’t extract the database dumps.
- [MBS-908] – Parser cannot handle commonly used punctuation other than period for tracknumber
- [MBS-1684] – Release editor doesn’t properly handle when you made no changes
- [MBS-2104] – Make it easier to possible to copy multiple artist credits when editing a release
- [MBS-2159] – Artist credit "toggle" should be consistent
- [MBS-3279] – Recordings search during add release should favor recordings from same release group
- [MBS-3781] – No way to conveniently change all track artists and credits on a release
- [MBS-4186] – It is impossible to ‘Guess Sort Name’ alone, add pre-defined sort name types
- [MBS-4253] – Clicking an entity in Add missing entities should open it in a new tab
- [MBS-4296] – Implement "Change all identical credits" on the RE
- [MBS-4331] – Release editor > Recording search on Recordings tab should use track info for searching : track artist and track length
- [MBS-4456] – Make the track parser keep the artists unless told not to
- [MBS-4540] – Don’t replace track authors with "various"
- [MBS-4726] – Up and down arrows on tracklist tab of release editor should be first column of table
- [MBS-5530] – Ask for confirmation when closing the release editor window
- [MBS-5662] – Focus the track parser when clicking the track parser button
- [MBS-5792] – Fix the Release Editor superticket
- [MBS-5899] – Normalize archive.org HTTPS URLs
- [MBS-6026] – Make Recent Additions show *all* recent additions, not only approved ones
- [MBS-6247] – Support redirect_uri in POST data when seeding
- [MBS-6255] – Refactor templates in release editor
- [MBS-6473] – release editor / recordings tab : display and focus recording search name input field (HUGE TIME GAIN)
- [MBS-6580] – link to artist mbids in 2nd column in edit release/recordings
- [MBS-6595] – Show flags for countries
- [MBS-6922] – Display table with information when merging labels
- [MBS-7145] – release editor : after inline finding of the searched label, grey help popup is not moved and updated to label row
- [MBS-7168] – Simplify browse pages
- [MBS-7233] – Change sidebar label: OCReMix → OC ReMix
- [MBS-3658] – Check whether the release editor handles multiple values for track names correctly
- [MBS-6820] – Document how to set up replication
- [MBS-5532] – Long translated strings mess up the release editor
As mentioned in the blog post for the 2013-12-23 server release, a useful new feature for editors is the option to add new entities directly from inline search fields:
There’s an “Add a new [entity]” button at the bottom of (most) search result menus, which upon clicking will open up a dialog in the page. The dialog contains a form identical to the one you’re used to when creating entities the old-fashioned way — that is, from the Editing menu at the top of the website.
Once you’ve successfully added a new entity from the dialog, it’ll be automatically loaded into the search field you started from.
The visible exceptions to this feature are that you can’t add new areas (only location editors can add those), or releases (because those take a lot longer to add, and it wouldn’t be useful to do so in a small dialog that you can accidentally close), and finally, you can’t spawn an add-entity dialog within another add-entity dialog. 🙂
Another change that went along with this feature (that editors should be aware of) is that we now require artists and labels to be selected on the “Release Information” tab of the release editor.
Previously, you could enter plain text into these fields, proceed to the next tab without selecting a search result, and handle creation on the “Add Missing Entities” tab. Because “Add Missing Entities” has a very limited UI, in the future we’d like to remove it in favor of easier entity-creation on the other tabs. This is a small step towards that. Note that you can still use “Add Missing Entities” for track artists — this change only affects the release artist and release labels on the first tab.
Don’t hesitate to report any bugs or suggestions about this feature to our issue tracker: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/
Version 1.2 of Picard has been released today, with some notable features and bug fixes.
As announced recently, PUID support is being removed from MusicBrainz on October 15. This release of Picard has followed suit by removing all support for AmpliFIND/PUID scanning and submission. AcoustID is now the default (and only) method of scanning files. If you’re currently using AmpliFIND as your fingerprinting system, then after installing Picard 1.2 you must enable AcoustID in your options, under the “Fingerprinting” section.
Those who have the Picard cover art plugin installed will likely want to remove it. Picard 1.2 has built-in support for downloading cover images from a variety of sources, without the need for a plugin. Please see the new configuration under Options -> Cover Art.
Something important to note for people who build/package Picard is that Python 2.6 is now the minimum required version.
Special thanks to Wieland Hoffmann, Laurent Monin, Lukáš Lalinský, and everyone who’s helped contribute/report bugs for this release!
Picard 1.2 can be downloaded at:
Changes since 1.1:
- Picard now requires at least Python 2.6
- Removed support for AmpliFIND/PUIDs
- Add support for the Ogg Opus file format
- It’s now possible to download cover images without any plugin. Cover Art Archive images can be downloaded by image type
- Improved directory scanning performance
- Prefer already-loaded releases of the same RG when matching files
- Allow dropping new files onto specific targets
- Add basic collections management support (PICARD-84)
- Allow adding custom tags in the tag editing dialog (PICARD-349)
- Fix replacing of Windows-incompatible characters (PICARD-393)
- Save both primary and secondary release types (PICARD-240)
- Handle errors from the AcoustID service better (PICARD-391)
- Accept HTTPS URLs on drag-and-drop (PICARD-378)
Three months after the big release of Picard 1.0, we’ve released version 1.1 today with another good batch of changes.
Before discussing those, let’s say thanks to everyone who has contributed to version 1.1! Wieland Hoffmann (Mineo), Lukáš Lalinský, Frederik S. Olesen (Freso), and Johannes Weißl (weisslj) have all made some notable changes to make this release possible.
Users of the German translation should no longer experience any menu display issues. (Sorry for the annoyance that has caused!) Speaking of languages: the “language” tag now stores the lyrics language instead of the tracklist language.
Windows users should also no longer run into any trouble with drag-and-drop after launching Picard for the first time.
The new version can be downloaded at:
Please report any new bugs at:
Here’s the list of changes since 1.0:
- Always show basic tags in metadata comparison box, even if empty (title, artist, album, tracknumber, ~length, date) (PICARD-201)
- Fixed AcoustID submission failure after removing files from Picard (PICARD-82)
- Allow multi-select in new MetaDataBox for delete/remove tags (PICARD-194)
- File browser remembers last directory/no longer crashes on OS X (PICARD-104)
- Removed the “Run Picard” option from the Windows installer (PICARD-11)
- Refreshing a non-album track correctly clears previous track metadata (PICARD-220)
- Fixed the preserved tags setting for tags with uppercase characters (PICARD-217)
- Added a completion box to the preserved tags setting, and clarified how it works
- Store lyrics language in tags instead of text representation language (PICARD-242)
- Fix various oddities in the metadata comparison box (PICARD-255, PICARD-256)
Lukáš Lalinský announced the long-awaited release of Picard 1.0 today:
It took us a long time to get here, but I’m very happy to announce the release of Picard 1.0!
This version includes a new UI for viewing tags, some options have been rearranged and a number of bugs fixed. The file naming formats for single and various artist releases have been merged. If you were using a different format for various artist releases, Picard will upgrade the format automatically for you, but you might need to review the result. This version also comes with support for two audio fingerprinting solutions (AcoustID and AmpliFIND), but fingerprint scanning is disabled by default – you have to enable it and choose which one you want to use first.
Many thanks to Robert Kaye (ruaok), Phillipp Wolfer (outsidecontext), Michael Wiencek (bitmap), Chad Wilson (voiceinsideyou) and many many others who helped the project along the way from 2003 when it was started!
You can download the new version at:
If you notice any problems, please report them at:
Complete list of changes since version 0.16:
- New UI: Extended comparison of existing vs. MB metadata & tags (PICARD-43)
- Merged the renaming and moving options pages
- Removed the VA file naming format option (there is now a single format option) (PICARD-159)
- Add %license% tag
- Made %writer% available to tagger scripts and plugins with contents of songwriter (PICARD-21)
- Allow two multi-valued variables to be merged in tagger scripting (PICARD-139)
- Allow multi-valued variables to be transformed in tagger script and then set back in tags as multi-valued (PICARD-147)
- Fix $copy not preserving multi-value variables as documented (PICARD-138)
- Load/save free-text tags for ID3 as TXXX frames (PICARD-148)
- Fix writing of MusicBrainz Work Id / musicbrainz_workid to tags (PICARD-88)
- Handle mimetype for embedding cover art from EXIF jpegs (PICARD-27)
- Change cover art box to open MusicBrainz release rather than Amazon
- Support manual drag-and-drop of cover art onto a release via cover art box
- Only open browser on left-click of cover art box (PICARD-190)
- Fix Lookup in Browser (previously ‘tag lookup’) for clusters (PICARD-186)
- Lookup in Browser will now not use MBIDs to lookup unmatched files/clusters
- Add Date/Country to CD Lookup results dialog (PICARD-198)
- Fix/reset album folksonomy tag counts while refreshing releases (PICARD-4)
- Plugins actions can now create sub-menus using the MENU class attribute
- New plugin hook register_clusterlist_action
- Display the port Picard is listening on at bottom right status bar (PICARD-191)
- Make album drops from right hand pane to left default to “unmatched files” again (PICARD-33)
- Remove .DS_Store, desktop.ini, and Thumbs.db from otherwise empty directories (PICARD-75)
- Update artist translation to use new alias features (primary flag, sort names) (PICARD-200)
- Deleted tags aren’t indicated as changes (PICARD-165)
- Picard log entries have inaccurate timestamp (PICARD-45)
- Interface doesn’t allow keyboard only management (PICARD-103)
- Added option to preserve timestamps of tagged files (PICARD-31)
- Added keyboard shortcut to reload release (PICARD-99)
- Medium formats weren’t listed in order in the “Other versions” menu (PICARD-91)
- Couldn’t select multiple directories in “Add Folder” window on OS X (PICARD-74)
Lukáš Lalinský announced here:
We released a new version of Picard today. This new release includes a number of bug fixes. Unicode punctuation is now replaced by default for new users. Title standardization has been removed, as track titles now follow the same style guidelines as recording titles.
One larger change that is hidden by default is support for AcoustID fingerprinting. AcoustID is a new, completely open source, audio fingerprinting project, started by me last year. I’m really glad to finally integrate it with Picard. Integration with the MusicBranz website is planned for later. Configuring Picard to use AcoustID instead of AmpliFIND should be completely transparent, there are no visual differences in the scanning process. Note that this feature requires downloading an extra application, see the AcoustID wiki page for details.
Changes since version 0.15.1:
- Fixed track metadata plugins.
- Added new internal %_totalalbumtracks% tag field. (PICARD-16)
- Track metadata plugins now run also on non-album tracks. (PICARD-7)
- Fixed custom Various Artists name on the %albumartist% field. (PICARD-5)
- Album artist is now correctly “translated”. (PICARD-1)
- Unicode punctuation is now converted to ASCII by default.
- WavPack correction files are moved together with the main files. (PICARD-15)
- Unicode filename normalization on OS X.
- Original release date is now saved into %originaldate%.
- Allow tagging with localized artist aliases (PICARD-17)
- Added a quit confirmation dialog. (PICARD-46)
- Standalone recordings can be tagged with relationships now. (PICARD-10)
- Refreshing an album will refresh its “other versions” listing. (PICARD-8)
- “Unicode punctuation to ASCII” now works on album-level metadata. (PICARD-50)
- DJ-mix tags should only be written to the medium where they apply. (PICARD-20)
- Support URL redirects in web service/network request module (PICARD-54)
- Jamendo and Archive.org cover art is displayed on web page, but not loaded by Picard plugin (PICARD-52)
- Edits to metadata in “Details…” menu not reflected in UI (PICARD-13)
- The status bar/new metadata box is updated when a selected file/track is changed. (PICARD-14)
You can download the new version, as usual, at http://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard
This is a minor release to correct some bugs that were present in 0.15. Additionally, the Mac OS X build should now run fine on 10.4 (i386) and 10.5. Here’s the changelog:
Version 0.15.1 – 2011-07-31
- “Other versions” menu now displays release labels and catalog numbers.
- Added CD-R, 8cm CD to the format mapping.
- Picard no longer fails to load releases with new or unknown media formats.
- Threading issues that could occasionally cause Picard to stop loading files have been fixed.
- Fixed album metadata processor plugins not working (#5960)
- Fixed loading of standalone recordings (#5961)
- Fixed requests stopping at midnight (#5963)
- Stopped using QDateTime for timing requests (for Qt 4.6 compatibility) (#5967)
- Fixed display of ampersands in the “other versions” menu. (#5969)
- Fixed use of numerical functions in advanced scripting.
You can download 0.15.1 here.