Duplicate Artist/Album Reports Updated (expect delays)

The raw data feeding into the duplicate artist/album reports has been updated. These are available under Edit The Data/Suggestions as the last two entries: “Albums that might need merging” and
“More possibly duplicate artists”. The last time this report was generated (July) we had 1703 possible album duplicates and 1872 possible artist duplicates. We now have 2714 possible album duplicates and 2424 possible artist duplicates.

Note that there is a delay between when I upload the raw data and it is reflected on the server – I think this was set up to happen once a day, but it may be only once a week.

As always, if anyone is looking at these, and there is a confirmed false positive, let me know and I will (a) make sure it doesn’t show up in the next report, and (b) see if I can improve the overall reporting. So far very few people have submitted false positives.

Trod trod trod

I have Picard starting up on Gentoo linux! Finally sorted out some permission problems and got the last of the requirements installed, and it runs! Well, almost. I can’t actually do anything; dragging files has no effect, the application complains a bit and won’t shut down properly; but still, progress! On the Mac, I’ve managed to work around some Python issues with respect to case insensitive filesystems, but now wxPython won’t compile, so I’ve taken a break from that and turned to the Windows front: I’m installing Windows XP into a VirtualPC as I write.

As an aside, I’ve almost got the my MusicBrainz test server up and running again, having some issues with the database import though. I forgot how many perl modules you need to install to get this thing running, but it only has to happen once.

Style Guidelines Work

Started work on the effort to move the official style guidelines to the Wiki. Created a Wiki page mimicing the current Official Style Guidelines page, it’s still a bit rough and I need to work on the formatting, but it’s there. Also started work on the style pages from the main site out of CVS, but realised I can’t get too far without a working running version of the MB server – viewing the raw html file in the browser doesn’t get all the Mason code. Setting up the server is a job for tomorrow.

They're not barriers, they're challenges

Mac OS X: I’ve decided Fink can suck er .. something rancid, and I’ve gone down the path of compiling everything from scratch, including gtk+2 and all of its dependancies, and Python. Now that I’ve got that all out of the way, it turns out that OS X has it’s own version of Python, and this version of Python doesn’t play ball with the ctypes package. Ah well, getting closer, slowly.

Two steps forward, one step back

I’ve been trying to set up various environments to install Picard (Mac OS X 10.3, Gentoo linux, and Windows XP via VirtualPC on the Mac). It’s been a rather trialing process…

I’ve been trying to set up various environments to install Picard (Mac OS X 10.3, Gentoo linux, and Windows XP via VirtualPC on the Mac). It’s been a rather trialing process…

Continue reading “Two steps forward, one step back”