On October 15th, we’re going to update our schema once again. This time we’re only making minor changes and some cleanup from the last schema change. To find out exactly what will be changing, please take a look at our milestone for this release.
At this point we’ve frozen the list of tickets we’re going to adress for October 15th. We’re not going to accept any more schema change tickets for this release.
Please let us know if you have any questions!
We have a minor hosting change to make (change how an instance of memcached is managed) that will lose all of the current release editor sessions. We will make this change tomorrow, Thursday at 20:00 UTC. During this time, any release editor session that is active will break and you will lose your changes in the release editor. To prevent this from impacting you, make sure to submit any changes before 20:00 UTC and wait for us to post another entry saying that the change is complete.
The rest of the site will be unaffected by this change.
As we mentioned yesterday, the wiki was read-only for a period today as we performed some much-needed upgrades. The new wiki is now live on http://wiki.musicbrainz.org and testing is encouraged to make sure we didn’t miss anything! It isn’t available as of this writing because a DNS change is required, but the old wiki will remain available at http://oldwiki.musicbrainz.org for some period of time, in a read-only state.
The new wiki has a few changes:
- You’ll see that the style has changed; instead of maintaining our own complete MediaWiki skin, we’re now just doing some modifications on top of the provided monobook skin.
- Login is now required to edit pages, partly as a spam-mitigation measure and partly because people were often editing without logging in, which made it hard to track down who exactly changed a page.
- The MediaWiki API should now be accessible, from http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/api.php.
- Finally, A few extensions have shuffled around and been updated as well; the full details are available on http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Special:Version.
If you find mistakes in our setup, please contact me: ‘ianmcorvidae’ on the MusicBrainz site and on IRC, and @musicbrainz.org via email; or, file a ticket on http://tickets.musicbrainz.org (under MusicBrainz Hosting, assign to “Ian McEwen”).
Our wiki’s been needing an upgrade for some time, and we’re ready to make the switchover. However, as you may imagine, upgrading from MediaWiki 1.11.2 to 1.19.2 isn’t a trifling matter (though kudos to the MediaWiki team for it even being possible in one step!), so we’ll need a few hours to run upgrade scripts and migrate servers (though we’ve worked to make it as quick as possible). The wiki will be available during this time, but will be read-only until the switchover is complete.
The read-only window for the upgrade will start at 15:30 PDT/MST, or 22:30 UTC. The wiki will be back, shiny and new, sometime 1.5-3 hours later, presuming everything goes according to plan.
Thanks for your understanding, and hopefully you’ll agree the new wiki is much improved!
Three months after the big release of Picard 1.0, we’ve released version 1.1 today with another good batch of changes.
Before discussing those, let’s say thanks to everyone who has contributed to version 1.1! Wieland Hoffmann (Mineo), Lukáš Lalinský, Frederik S. Olesen (Freso), and Johannes Weißl (weisslj) have all made some notable changes to make this release possible.
Users of the German translation should no longer experience any menu display issues. (Sorry for the annoyance that has caused!) Speaking of languages: the “language” tag now stores the lyrics language instead of the tracklist language.
Windows users should also no longer run into any trouble with drag-and-drop after launching Picard for the first time.
The new version can be downloaded at:
Please report any new bugs at:
Here’s the list of changes since 1.0:
- Always show basic tags in metadata comparison box, even if empty (title, artist, album, tracknumber, ~length, date) (PICARD-201)
- Fixed AcoustID submission failure after removing files from Picard (PICARD-82)
- Allow multi-select in new MetaDataBox for delete/remove tags (PICARD-194)
- File browser remembers last directory/no longer crashes on OS X (PICARD-104)
- Removed the “Run Picard” option from the Windows installer (PICARD-11)
- Refreshing a non-album track correctly clears previous track metadata (PICARD-220)
- Fixed the preserved tags setting for tags with uppercase characters (PICARD-217)
- Added a completion box to the preserved tags setting, and clarified how it works
- Store lyrics language in tags instead of text representation language (PICARD-242)
- Fix various oddities in the metadata comparison box (PICARD-255, PICARD-256)
Another 2 weeks have flown by, so we have another release for you! This one is a combination of small bug fixes and improvements, and includes work from Joachim LeBlanc, Michael Wiencek, nikki, and the rest of the MusicBrainz team. Thanks to everyone for their hardwork. Here’s what’s new:
- [MBS-2301] – Attach TOC to new release – TOC/DiscId is lost when based on existing release/tracklist
- [MBS-3541] – /ws/1 artist lookup returns odd release-group-list and omits releases from release-list
- [MBS-3613] – CD Stub "Overview" and "edit" tabs are dead links when adding a new CD Stub
- [MBS-3678] – Blank annotations are shown in summary if they contained text prior
- [MBS-3955] – Editing a user doesn’t allow removing auto-editor privileges
- [MBS-4074] – MBImport.pl: use head -c to be more portable
- [MBS-4238] – Edit history: missing history?
- [MBS-4393] – Recordings search does not find (some?) Chinese titles
- [MBS-4574] – [removed] displayed while adding a label to a release
- [MBS-4585] – Artist not found in inline search
- [MBS-4792] – regression: /ws/2/release queries with inc=recordings+recording-level-rels+work-rels no longer includes iswcs on works
- [MBS-4797] – DropFunctions.sql cannot be executed
- [MBS-4804] – Various artist release groups aren’t correctly grouped by release group secondary type
- [MBS-4844] – /ws/2/release?inc=user-tags+recordings only returns tags for a single recording
- [MBS-4854] – Querying /ws/2/release with ?inc=tags+recordings+recording-level-rels+work-rels does not return tags on works
- [MBS-4942] – If blog.musicbrainz.org is inaccessible, an internal server error is printed on the musicbrainz.org front page.
- [MBS-4955] – Editor search does not load Gravatars properly
- [MBS-4972] – "Add new artist" on the add missing entities tab should have a label
- [MBS-4992] – Work details tab is missing a details header
- [MBS-5018] – Some translations break front page styling
- [MBS-5090] – Some entities are marked as having pending edits when they don’t
- [MBS-5110] – Inserts into artist_tag_raw are not checking for existence first
- [MBS-5119] – work-recording vs. work-recordings add relationship pages inconsistent on labels around inputs
- [MBS-5137] – Amazon artist URLs are linked to the wrong page
- [MBS-5138] – Amazon referral links are not always correctly generated
- [MBS-5141] – Subscribed editors page shows "found edits" when not subscribed to any editors
- [MBS-5151] – Edit count is wrong on /edit/open
- [MBS-5154] – Country, Label, Catalog Number fields aren’t populated on the DiscID move page.
- [MBS-5163] – Release editor : label search can’t find what both indexed and direct searches can
- [MBS-5183] – Internal server error when adding an entity with double spaces
- [MBS-5184] – malformed UTF-8 character in JSON string
- [MBS-5187] – Cannot add release
- [MBS-5188] – InitDb fails with a postgres beta
- [MBS-5189] – CAA changes to InitDB and MBImport don’t work
- [MBS-5190] – Adding track times to a release triggers selecting new recordings for all tracks
- [MBS-5191] – Typo in error when showing an edit and cannot display cover art
- [MBS-5196] – CSS: Centreing an image doesn’t work
- [MBS-5197] – ISE looking at certain edit history
- [MBS-5215] – ModBot SetTrackLengths script is corrupting track numbers
- [MBS-1326] – Put limits to the Big Red Cell in edits
- [MBS-1848] – Add guess case for adding/editing alias
- [MBS-2597] – Show number of releases in each group on "merge release groups" edit page
- [MBS-2803] – Show release group type when merging
- [MBS-3119] – Display more information on the merge work page
- [MBS-3476] – Add more string substitutions for "join phrase"
- [MBS-4354] – Edits through the webservice should display application name + version
- [MBS-4382] – Display total medium/release duration
- [MBS-4533] – Group releases on recording page by status
- [MBS-4659] – Auto-editor approval should be shown in edit list view.
- [MBS-4885] – Go back to the "Instrument Tree" tab after creating an instrument
- [MBS-4979] – inline search: results aren’t as useful as regular search.
- [MBS-5098] – Create Artist edits should show Born/Founded/Began (and equivalents for end date) rather than the generic names
- [MBS-5121] – TuneCore song IDs are permitted in ISRC fields
- [MBS-5135] – Display more information on the release merge page
- [MBS-5170] – in the edit summary, there is "begin date"/"end date" reglardless of whether it’s "person", "group" or "other"
- [MBS-5178] – statistics-collected nagios check should show when stats were collected
- [MBS-5208] – Wrong grammar on open edit button.
- [MBS-5122] – Use scheme relative links to support https
- [MBS-5124] – Ensure search server queries correctly time out
- [MBS-5140] – Purge unused update scripts
- [MBS-5186] – Open up release groups and labels in robots.txt
- [MBS-5149] – Code Coverage Review: MB::S::Validation
- [MBS-5153] – Code Coverage Review: MB::S::Controller::Statistics
- [MBS-5160] – Code Coverage Review: MB::S::Controller::Browse
- [MBS-5161] – Code Coverage Review: MB::S::Controller::Role::Load
- [MBS-5198] – Code Coverage Review: MB::S::Data::Statistics::ByDate/ByName
The Git commit for this release is
bd949ec726fa9d; Git tag