Ok, so the “have a report every two weeks” thing didn’t work out very well lately. But things have been happening anyway, so here’s all that has happened in the last few months!
Guidelines for artists have been updated for what is and is not a different artist (since now relationships can also have credits) and for areas (main artist area is still somewhat fuzzy because it is a fuzzy concept, but at least there’s something now).
Also new (although most parts were just moved into it from existing guidelines where they didn’t really fit) are the guidelines for artist credits.
The English guidelines got cleaned up a bit, but without major changes (only the addition of a section on “O’Clock”).
The alias guidelines got updated to take into consideration the “primary for locale” option, and got a section for sort names (based on the old guidelines for label sort names, which were removed since labels themselves no longer have sort names).
Some indications on barcodes were added to the release guidelines.
The ability for work-work relationships (like “part of” and “version of”) to have dates was removed. Dates should be on the appropriate artist-work relationships, in most cases (like “arranger” and “translator”), and works which get new parts added / removed should be counted as different parent works to begin with.
“Different bootleg recordings of the same concert” was added to the list of things that should be in the same release group.
The guidelines mandating expanding abbreviations like “Vol.” and “Pt.” have been removed (the special exception of “feat.” has not changed). Titles should, in general, follow the release/track title. The only standardisation left is for series: see the series numbering guidelines.
Some basic work guidelines have been added, both for when to set a type and for when (and when not) to add a disambiguation comment.
Apart from that, a fair amount of relationships and release formats have been added and some sites whitelisted. See the full list below for details.
- [STYLE-427] – Style/Artist hasn’t been updated for areas
- [STYLE-524] – "Personal label" has the wrong cardinality
- [STYLE-149] – Update "Artists with multiple names"
- [STYLE-203] – Add a "In homage to" relationship to works
- [STYLE-228] – Allow grouping of multiple "identical" bootlegs w/ different titles
- [STYLE-431] – Add "marketed by" release-label relationship
- [STYLE-436] – Add castalbums.org to the Other Databases whitelist
- [STYLE-447] – Add treble/boy soprano as a vocal type
- [STYLE-453] – Add "Pathé disc" format
- [STYLE-472] – Add operadis-opera-discography.org.uk to the Other Databases whitelist
- [STYLE-487] – Remove honorary titles from artist names
- [STYLE-492] – Add "printed in" release-area relationship
- [STYLE-508] – Clarify the barcode field guideline when the scanned value differs from the numerical value
- [STYLE-511] – Add SMDB to "Other Databases" whitelist
- [STYLE-515] – Reorganise and clean up Style/English
- [STYLE-522] – Create a basic Artist Credits style page
- [STYLE-523] – Update Style/Aliases for "primary for locale"
- [STYLE-527] – Work-work relationships shouldn’t allow dates
- [STYLE-437] – Add VHD as a media format
- [STYLE-439] – Add Capacitance Electronic Disc (CED) as a media format
- [STYLE-442] – Add classicalarchives.com to Other DBs whitelist
- [STYLE-446] – Work-Event rel: Premiered at
- [STYLE-450] – Add Copy Control CD (CCCD) as a media format
- [STYLE-451] – Add Videogam.in to the Other Database whitelist
- [STYLE-475] – Add artist-place "organist" relationship
- [STYLE-479] – Add artist-artist teacher relationship
- [STYLE-483] – Add "incidental music" work type
- [STYLE-498] – URL whitelist request : mvdbase
- [STYLE-512] – Add an artist-artist "composer in residence" relationship
- [STYLE-393] – Drop "EP" attribute from the "single from" relationship type
- [STYLE-404] – Update series (volume number, etc) guidelines now that we have series
- [STYLE-414] – Add Spirit of Rock to the Other Databases whitelist
- [STYLE-441] – Add guideline which covers artists in work disambiguation comments
- [STYLE-444] – Add a relationship type for linking recordings to their corresponding music videos
- [STYLE-445] – Add a relationship type for artists featuring in videos
- [STYLE-491] – Add guideline about where to set a work type
- [STYLE-496] – Other DB: Traditional Tune Archive (tunearch.org)
- [STYLE-497] – Other DB: FolkWiki; folkwiki.se
- [STYLE-500] – Ability to link to bandsintown.com
- [STYLE-501] – Add "has BookBrainz entry" relationship
- [STYLE-513] – Add SHM-SACD as a medium format
- [STYLE-514] – Clarify how "o’clock" should be capitalised in English
- [STYLE-516] – Add a relationship for linking artists to their tours
- [STYLE-517] – Update Theatre guidelines to remove link to deprecated Opera guidelines
- [STYLE-518] – Approve MusixMatch as a lyrics source
- [STYLE-521] – Label sortname guideline needs updating
One thought on “Style update, 2015-06-02”
MB rulez, keep it up!