Part 2 in our housecleaning series concerns our mailing lists. Hosting mailing lists is quite a pain and we’d rather leave this pain to people who specializein mailing lists. So, we are proposing to do the following things:
- Remove the under-utilized list musicbrainz-italian.
- Remove the musicbrainz-commits mailing list. Github (and similar sites) have better notification systems, so we don’t really need this list anymore.
- Ask the Xiph Foundation to find a new home for the XSPF Playlist mailing list.
- Remove the under-utilized musicbrainz-users list since the forums are predominantly used for end-user discussion. We’ll point people to the forums for those.
Finally, we would like to get some suggestions and feedback on where we should host our mailing lists. We’re considering:
- Nabble: This has gotten mixed reviews from various users.
- Librelist: This site is quite new and UI reservations have been noted about it.
- Savannah: This site has many more features than just mailing lists. We’re not certain if we can move only our mailing lists here.
- Google Groups: We’ve heard complaints about spam and spam fighting tools. Has this improved recently?
If you have any comments on any of these solutions or proposed list consolidation ideas, please let us know. Also, if you know of a cheap/free/good list provider that we didn’t list, please let us know!