This was one of the initial Ensembling-version/family/ensemble instrument-type inspiring tickets.
Initially added on September 2017, it was delayed because it required all the sub-tickets for each instrument being created (and I’m lazy!).
Eventually GCI student mathure, with help from GCI finalist TheFaR8, researched and added a lot of the missing sub-ticket instruments. Many, many thanks to both of them!
There are still however many more gamelan instruments not yet added – if you want a particular one, please add a sub-ticket under INST-556!
Likewise there were a couple instruments that we couldn’t add, since they need to wait for MBS-9642 to be implemented and voice types becoming “instruments”, those being:
There’s also at least one more vocal “instrument” that has no ticket yet, but also can’t be added for the same reason: the kecak (a type of chanting). Additionally, alok and senggakan seem like they might also need adding, but I actually have no idea what these are since they only have Wikipedia page in Javanese ︎😅︎
Remember what I said previously about getting rid of metallophone? :D
hahaha, what a difference in opinion research will bring… ♪;︎
Since the gamelan included so many percussion idiophones (especially metal/tuned ones) it became a natural continuation fix of our previous (clapper tree mini-version).
That meant that we could finally fix up the metallophone/xylophone/lithophone mess under percussion idiophone!
This also included merging tuned percussion into percussion idiophone (“tuned percussion” as an instrument terminology on Wikipedia was deprecated anyway) and sorting out chimes and other related suches.
Stay tuned for कुछ वीणा सम्बन्धित चीजें!
¹ suuper thanks to ’19 GCI student Antara for additional research on this ticket.
Much of the initial part of this mini-version was done during let’s get serious. However, after coming back to it later, it became apparent that a more overarching edit and reorganization of idiophones was needed, so the second phase of this work involved linking existing and creating new idiophone instruments and organizing them.
Many of the tickets in this version were created or improved by students during GCI ’18. Many thanks to our students George Omnet and Jayant Dharwadkar, especially!
MiniVersion Clapper tree
[INST-630] – Rearrange idiophone tree (was: Create clapper tree)
Thanks in great part to the new How to Add Instruments guide, we now had a framework to better objectively review inclusions of instruments. Following that, these instruments were found to be either not applicable (noisemakers not intended for music as such, rather than musical instruments) or to be too much of a novelty instrument:
Closed as not applicable / Reopen if/when musical use is demonstrated
The improvement of the idiophone section isn’t completely done however! Some more work is needed: moving and/or renaming the “tuned percussion” instrument (which is basically equivalent to the “percussion struck idiophones” in Hornbostel-Sachs already anyway) and (possibly) getting rid of “metallophone” (which is almost a duplicate of tuned percussion in function today, and that in meaning is basically just “idiophones made of metal”), which doesn’t seem necessary anymore.
Hi everyone! As you might remember, our last post was the end of a series of entries meant to summarize everything that had happened in instrument-land so far. So now that catching up is done, here’s what has happened lately!
It’s time for Instruments again!
Now that I was allowed to create fix versions I set about creating such fix versions! (And also, retroactively (re)creating previous batches where these seemed logical.) This also meant creating JIRA Tickets for instruments I had already added without tickets, like the Taonga pūoro instruments.
By now, I was also starting to see the limits of the relationships between instruments we already had, so I was already thinking about what relationships could be added to improve the way we link things. As such, I created a topic to discuss some ideas I had (Reader beware! This is an early and now outdated idea-thread! (More on this in a later post!))
By now I was starting to get a bit more comfortable in my role as Instrument Inserter. I went about doing a bit more in-depth research, especially for the tamburica, and I made a post on the forum where I asked for input researching these instruments.
Eventually I mean to come back to this group of instruments (and in fact this is what I am doing currently), expanding the family tree I’ve been working on, which is why this “fix” version is still open.
Tamburica: 2017 January 6th to the 25th:
[INST-64] – add the instruments of the Balkan tamburica orchestra; was: Contratambura
[INST-457] – clean out and clarify “tambura” (still open)
Initially, what I found to be the hardest part of adding instruments was actually the addition of aliases. It was a cumbersome, time consuming and annoying part, and I often clamoured for someone to write some sort of Batch Alias script. Then, in March, loujine came in like a superhero with a batch alias script! Now thanks to this script I can add aliases en masse, which has helped me tremendously!
After reosarevok fixed INST-723, I could link hybrids with the instruments they were hybrids of, therefore a batch of “hybrid” instruments came next.
[INST-459] – Correct Wikidata link for the three-hole pipe
By this time a community discussion came out about the use of disambiguations and descriptions (instrument exclusive fields, which, unlike disambiguations, are translatable), with some users suggesting they were too long, some pointing out issues with translating and yet others suggesting the description field should be dropped altogether. While this discussion didn’t reach a clear resolution, it’s definitely something we should revisit later.