I’ve opened my development box up to the world – you can see what I’m working on at http://dev-mb.djce.org.uk/. The mb_server I have running at the moment, for example, implements “Add Disc ID” moderations. Play nicely!
Wow, that’s a lame title. I couldn’t think of anything better This is a general-purpose update as to what I’ve been doing of late, so no single title seemed appropriate, except “What Dave’s Been Doing Lately” (and I think the title I finally went with is more punchy).
Read on for general babble about what I’ve been doing lately, and a random thought about the best way of getting feedback about server development.
In the last two weeks I managed to combine working on MusicBrainz, creating a new open source project and earning money to pay the bills! This is quite rare these days, so I am pleased all around.
As some of you may know, I have been doing contract work for CD Baby. When Derek, the owner and lead geek at CD Baby, asked me what MusicBrainz does for searching, I launched into a long cheerleading rant about Lucene. I managed to convince Derek that Lucene is the way to go, and to convince him to sponsor the open source development of the new Lucene Web Service. Luckily Derek agreed that as long as the project was going to be available under the BSD license that he would agree to open source the work.
Triple cheers for Derek and CD Baby please!
So, the web service is now done and I’ve applied for a new project on SourceForge — once that is approved, I will release the source code for everyone to check out. I’ll post another message here when that is complete.
If you’d like to check out the working web service, try this link.
The TRM database has been pruned again, making the system much faster and more reliable again.
At about 1930hrs UTC on November 4th the TRM database
was “pruned” again (see the previous time
for more information about this).
This time we removed all TRMs apart from the ones attached to
MusicBrainz tracks, where the TRM had been looked up at least once.
This is a slightly more aggressive prune compared to the previous time.
In the last 24 hours this blog has been attacked by nasty porn spammers. I’ve erased dozens of spam comments and trackbacks. 🙂
I’ve turned off trackbacks for now ( 😦 ) and I will add comment captchas later today to try and stop this crap. Anyone have a good suggestion on how to manage trackback ping spam?
At long last, after many hours of work and months of time passing, I’ve FedEx’ed off the 1023 Application to the IRS. The 1023 form is the tax-exempt application to the IRS — once we get an advance ruling on our status (the final ruling will come many months down the road) we’ll be able to conduct business as a real non-profit and start handing out tax-deductible receipts for the donations we receive for MusicBrainz.
I feel confident that we’re well setup — this is mainly due to the excellent guidance I’ve received from Randy Heinig at Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum Perlman & Nagelberg LLP in Chicago. Thank you very much Randy for all your patience, hard work and thorough understanding of what MusicBrainz does!
Hopefully this will also mark the point where I can spend a little less time on the non-profit and start hammering out more code for MusicBrainz — it’s sorely needed. But before I dream of that, we still need to announce this new venture. Stay tuned for more on that!
After moderating my way into the top five moderators / top ten voters, I’ve decided to slow down my moderating, and spend more time trying to provide advice and help for new moderators.
On the Wiki, I’ve been working on a collection of pages that I hope will form the basis for Editing Guidelines that complement the current Style Guide. Where the Style Guide tells you how entries should look when they are done, the Editing Guidelines are intended to tell you the best way to get there.