Today we’ve released several changes decided at the recent MusicBrainz Summit:
- German, French, and Dutch translations are now usable on the main server, via the language menu at the top right of any page. Previously these were only accessible on the beta server. Don’t forget to help contribute on Transifex if you find any issues in the translations. You can also help translate some of the less-complete languages over there.
- “Add relationship” edits have been made auto-edits for everyone. By a recent calculation, only 0.78% of these have been canceled or voted down, yet they make up a large percentage of our open edits and are easy to remove.
- “Add release” edits have been made auto-edits for everyone. Since releases added to MusicBrainz are available immediately through the website and web services, there’s no telling where the MBIDs are being used. Permanent and reliable IDs are a core tenet of MusicBrainz, so duplicate releases should always be merged to avoid MBID loss, not voted down or deleted. I’ll be looking at ways to better detect duplicates during the add-release process, though.
- “Add release label” and “Remove release label” edits have been made auto-edits for everyone. Like the previous two edit types, release label additions are among the most common types of open edits, and are rarely canceled or voted down. Release label removals are also easy to revert because all of the removed data is contained in the edit.
- UPDATE 2015-12-03: It was neglected to mention here that “Edit release label” edits were also made auto-edits, since they are equivalent to a removal plus an addition. For statistics, see the comments at MBS-8666.
In addition to the above changes, Roman Tsukanov has added some new reports, and we’ve fixed a few editing bugs.
The git tag today is
v-2015-11-16 and the complete changelog is below.
- [MBS-8607] – JSON-LD has bugs
- [MBS-8612] – 404 page has incorrect/outdated menus
- [MBS-8614] – Release merges can fail if a recording is both a merge source and merge target
- [MBS-8615] – Non-conflicting mediums appended after a release merge is entered block the merge
- [MBS-8620] – Can’t add an example to an Artist-Series relationship
- [MBS-8623] – Duplicate checker entity list lacks a space between name and disambiguation
- [MBS-8489] – Report for all entity.disambiguation = entity.name